Incontinence - Please help

Reds

Sep 5, 2011
Hertfordshire
Hi!

Husband has Alzheimer's, wears super plus pull up pants but still leak! Also wore a plastic pair over the top yesterday but still had wet pyjama's and wet bed this morning! He does have protection on the bed too.

What can I do to stop the leak?

Please help,

Reds

LadyA

Oct 19, 2009
Ireland
Are you using kylie type sheets/pads on the bed, Reds? The good ones should absorb well over a litre. However, you know you must make sure you don't wash them with fabric conditioner, or any of the "2 in 1" detergents that have fabric conditioner added? Fabric conditioner basically makes them waterproof, so the liquid just runs off them, rather than being absorbed!

Reds

Sep 5, 2011
Hertfordshire
Are you using kylie type sheets/pads on the bed, Reds? The good ones should absorb well over a litre. However, you know you must make sure you don't wash them with fabric conditioner, or any of the "2 in 1" detergents that have fabric conditioner added? Fabric conditioner basically makes them waterproof, so the liquid just runs off them, rather than being absorbed!

Yes. Just wish wouldn't leak out of the underwear. Thanks for reply.

Philbo

Feb 28, 2017
Kent
My wife wears the super plus pull-ups and they do a remarkable job of containing things. I do occasionally find there has been a bit of leakage, usually overnight but thankfully, it mostly only dampens her PJ bottoms, although I have had the time when the "kylie" type bed pad has also got slightly damp.

I do try my best to get her to have a wee before getting into bed but sometimes, she'll sit t here for AGES and not go. Also, as she often goes to bed about 21:00, it's a long time to go until morning.

The only major leaks have been where I have put them on her whilst half asleep myself and inadvertently put them on inside out!!:eek:

Reds

Sep 5, 2011
Hertfordshire
My wife wears the super plus pull-ups and they do a remarkable job of containing things. I do occasionally find there has been a bit of leakage, usually overnight but thankfully, it mostly only dampens her PJ bottoms, although I have had the time when the "kylie" type bed pad has also got slightly damp.

I do try my best to get her to have a wee before getting into bed but sometimes, she'll sit t here for AGES and not go. Also, as she often goes to bed about 21:00, it's a long time to go until morning.

The only major leaks have been where I have put them on her whilst half asleep myself and inadvertently put them on inside out!!:eek:

Thank you Philbo, useful to know how others manage.

Bunpoots

Volunteer Host
Apr 1, 2016
Nottinghamshire
I haven't quite got to the pull ups stage with dad yet but when I used them on the toddlers I cared for they would leak if they didn't fit snugly around the legs. If he's borderline between 2 sizes I would go for the smaller one.

Prudence9

Oct 8, 2016
Have a good look on the Tena Direct website, they may have "Maxi Night Plus" pullups for men. Mum used the women's type for a long time for overnight and they were really good.
Also, have a look at the Tena bed pads, may be worth laying one over the Kylie sheet as a belt and braces approach, they're really absorbent.

When you've decided which to try, go to Incontinence Choice website and look for the Tena products you want via a search - they're much cheaper from them!

Mum now uses Tena Slips through the day and Flex at night, both excellent with bedpads under her which are very rarely wet in the morning (some people have found puppy training pads to be just as effective I believe but I've not tried them).
Good luck xx

Reds

Sep 5, 2011
Hertfordshire
Have a good look on the Tena Direct website, they may have "Maxi Night Plus" pullups for men. Mum used the women's type for a long time for overnight and they were really good.
Also, have a look at the Tena bed pads, may be worth laying one over the Kylie sheet as a belt and braces approach, they're really absorbent.

When you've decided which to try, go to Incontinence Choice website and look for the Tena products you want via a search - they're much cheaper from them!

Mum now uses Tena Slips through the day and Flex at night, both excellent with bedpads under her which are very rarely wet in the morning (some people have found puppy training pads to be just as effective I believe but I've not tried them).
Good luck xx

Thank you very much for help Prudence9. Very useful information. Hope your mum is ok. Reds

Prudence9

Oct 8, 2016
You're so welcome Reds, it's good to be posting and able to help a little - please shout if you think I can help further, my head is stuffed with Incontinence info!
:D

longlostfan

Aug 14, 2016
I use the Tena pull-ups for my OH and also Boots........because of his lack of mobility and constant nightly trips to the loo he often doesn’t quite make it. The Tena ones are a good fit and absorbent, and the Boots ones are not bad, but he often manages to soak his pajamas etc as well as the pants. The doc has put him on a med called betmiga to lessen his nightly urine output......hasn’t made much difference tho.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ACampbell