Incontinence Pads

Caligirl

Dec 19, 2018
Hi my Dad was discharged from hospital yesterday after falling and breaking his hip. He is currently bedbound as he got Sepsis when in there and then decided he wasn't getting up. For most of his time in hospital he had a catheter in then just a day or 2 ago they removed prior to discharge. He has a care plan and he has a nightsitter for 3 nights. Upon arriving this morning the carers found my Dad very wet the hospital gave us 28 of their pads but we have to wait for urology to be given more! What pads would people recommend to prevent him being so wet in the morning and where would you recommend purchase from online? Do you think we should suggest catheter being put back in with his Dr even though his bladder seems to be working well. Any suggestions or advice would be hugely appreciated. Obviously a prompt response would be hugely appreviated. ?

imthedaughter

Apr 3, 2019
Hi @Caligirl I'm not the most useful but my dad is on a waiting list for continence assessment and I am worried for you that 28 pads might not be enough as it seems to be taking ages for him to be assessed (although he's been ill in-between and they can't assess when they are unwell). Dad is in a home though (hence me not being personally useful) so they buy in bulk online, but the residents have to pay for anything not supplied by NHS in that area.

What I have heard people say is that Aldi's pull-ups seem to be the most absorbent and least likely to come off so perhaps start there - I hope someone can come along and correct me if that's not the case.

The other amazing tips I've heard on here for night times is to use puppy pads - and also Kylie brand sheets. I think you need 2-3 sets if it's going to be a regular occurence. I think if the pads are likely to be moved by dad, you could do Kylie sheet, puppy pad, normal sheet on top as a combination. You can also use the pads on the floor to protect carpet if that's an issue.

Finally, I believe it is unwise to catheterise unless it's absolutely necessary. These foreign objects in the body bring their own problems in the form of infections, or being pulled out by the PWD, or any other number of things.

Hopefully someone with proper experience can answer more fully - but definitely have a search on this forum for dealing with incontinence, lots of people here have dealt and are dealing with this.

Bunpoots

Volunteer Host
Apr 1, 2016
Nottinghamshire
I used to buy my dad’s incontinence products from incontinence choice. They would arrive discreetly packaged in a box with just the word “choice” on it.

Your dad should be entitled to free inco pads from the NHS so ask his GP for a referral to the Continence clinic @Caligirl . It’ll take a while to get sorted so you’ll need to buy products in the meantime.

Hours Away

Jul 16, 2021
Have used the next day delivery service from Incontinence Choice several times now and being able to order online up to 9pm at night has been really useful. I used my mobile number on order but it is delivered to PWD at their address. This week I am with PWD and placed 2 online orders. Both times someone from customer service has then phoned asking to speak to PWD about signing up to their discounted subscription service to get products delivered regularly. I like their product range but still trying to figure out which pants or pads will work best. Next time I'll omit my phone number as the delivery tracking updates came via email anyway.

greensox

May 18, 2017
somerset
For my OH I have used incontinence choice now for about 2 years. I used to order when OH needed a delivery but now we use the subscription service. It makes it a bit cheaper and no vat for most products, you just fill on a declaration when you first order from them. We have tried various things for his incontinence starting with the mens shields to lightweight pull ups then thicker pads, which used to work their way down his legs and finally now we are coping with double incontinence we have settled on tena maxi pull ups. These are sufficient for night time bucket loads of wee and enormous helpings of poo. And the pull ups give him a little bit of independence in that he can go to the loo himself, I just need to help him if he needs to change the pants.