Incompetent people (a rant)

mikeouk

Apr 27, 2016
Mum went into a care home for respite 5 weeks ago, it soon became apparent that she needed a higher level of care than they could provide, and my dad reconciled himself that mum wouldn't be going home again.
Social services agreed to extend her 2 weeks respite to 4 weeks and start looking for a suitable permanent nursing home place.
Mum was causing problems in the night hours, wandering into other rooms, turning lights off and becoming aggressive with staff. They were trying their best but mum wouldn't allow them to clean her or dress her, she was becoming more incontinent .
Ss dragged their heels, they'd tell us of a suitable place and then say unfortunately it wasn't available. Mums gp was asked to prescribe suitable medication to calm her, but nothing transpired ( my dad has tried numerous times over past few years but the gp seemed reluctant to prescribe any medication).
Her 4 weeks ran out a week ago, then ss said they had 2 nursing home managers going to assess mum. Both manager refused to take her, they thought she showed signs of psychotic behaviour and should be sectioned and taken to a mental health unit. Someone from adult mental health went and refused to section her. On Friday the care home owner decided it was time for her to leave and refused to keep her any longer.
So we were left in a crysis situation, the current ch wouldn't keep her, no other homes would take her, she couldn't go back home to dad because she was deemed a danger to herself and those around her, and she couldn't go to the dementia unit unless she was sectioned.
Ss demanded a second opinion from adult mental health and at 10pm on Friday she was reassessed and sectioned, and taken to the unit at 11.30pm.
Hopefully now she will receive the level of care and appropriate medication she needs.

I'm shocked at the incompetence of the social worker (seems to brush issues under carpet and only acts when pushed ), her gp (doesn't seem interested in prescribing any kind of medication) and the adult mental health (whoever first deemed her to be OK mentally , needs to find a new career).

I'm angry it was left until the very last minute for action to be taken.
My mum deserves so much better, she worked all her life as a nurse, cared for 1000's of people, and this is how she's repayed when she needs help.

Patricia Alice

Mar 2, 2015
Hi Mikeouk,

We were in the same position 12 months ago. In our case mom was sectioned after just 24 hours of going into a care home (after living in her own home) so probably came as a complete shock. She was taken to the local hospital, they checked her over and wanted the home to take her back, they refused. They said we would have to take her to our homes, we said this is not possible, so after many hours of wrangling with out of hours SS and Mental Health Team a bed was found 11 miles away in a Mental Health Hospital. Once there she tried to throw plant pots at widows, hit out etc. A week later she was moved to hospital closer to home over Xmas and New Year. Their team said she was not a longer stay but they did strip her meds and start again.

She is now in a nursing dementia unit for challenging behaviour and although other residents are far worse, she gets very good care.

Don't give up, you will find somewhere suitable, you just have to keep looking, do your own homework. We found where she is now, SS were sending us to places that would not accept mum.

Good luck.

Aisling

Dec 5, 2015
Ireland
Mum went into a care home for respite 5 weeks ago, it soon became apparent that she needed a higher level of care than they could provide, and my dad reconciled himself that mum wouldn't be going home again.
Social services agreed to extend her 2 weeks respite to 4 weeks and start looking for a suitable permanent nursing home place.
Mum was causing problems in the night hours, wandering into other rooms, turning lights off and becoming aggressive with staff. They were trying their best but mum wouldn't allow them to clean her or dress her, she was becoming more incontinent .
Ss dragged their heels, they'd tell us of a suitable place and then say unfortunately it wasn't available. Mums gp was asked to prescribe suitable medication to calm her, but nothing transpired ( my dad has tried numerous times over past few years but the gp seemed reluctant to prescribe any medication).
Her 4 weeks ran out a week ago, then ss said they had 2 nursing home managers going to assess mum. Both manager refused to take her, they thought she showed signs of psychotic behaviour and should be sectioned and taken to a mental health unit. Someone from adult mental health went and refused to section her. On Friday the care home owner decided it was time for her to leave and refused to keep her any longer.
So we were left in a crysis situation, the current ch wouldn't keep her, no other homes would take her, she couldn't go back home to dad because she was deemed a danger to herself and those around her, and she couldn't go to the dementia unit unless she was sectioned.
Ss demanded a second opinion from adult mental health and at 10pm on Friday she was reassessed and sectioned, and taken to the unit at 11.30pm.
Hopefully now she will receive the level of care and appropriate medication she needs.

I'm shocked at the incompetence of the social worker (seems to brush issues under carpet and only acts when pushed ), her gp (doesn't seem interested in prescribing any kind of medication) and the adult mental health (whoever first deemed her to be OK mentally , needs to find a new career).

I'm angry it was left until the very last minute for action to be taken.
My mum deserves so much better, she worked all her life as a nurse, cared for 1000's of people, and this is how she's repayed when she needs help.[/QUOT
Mark as read

Am so sorry. I posted reply to you earlier but it is not on thread. Have no idea why it is not on. You have every right to be angry and I may not have been PC in my reply. Was trying to support you and I was critical of some professionals. Am not sorry about that but sad that my msge did not get to you.

Aisling

JohnBG

Apr 20, 2016
Lancashire UK
Mh

I have understanding of how MH sections work in reality all those in need of such care would get that at the appropriate time without making the situation worse,especially for the patient.

In reality too many patients for very few beds, they used to call it care in the community, these episodes come and go the emphasis on managing it effectively in some anticipation of a recurrence, it is very sad. That environment is not fit for purpose when #dementia is taken into consideration, no interim waypoint is available putting those who are already confused onto a ward very emotional.

As you say, it has traits of pass the parcel where the sooner the support starts the better.

Good luck, stay strong.

John. (())