Inappropriate attachments

Chelle52

Oct 20, 2016
my mum who has been diagnosed with moderate to severe mixed dementia seems to form inappropriate attachments to people such as supermarket cashiers , restaurant waiters etc . She constantly talks about how lovely they are and how much they love her and that she hugs them when she seems them etc . We recently had a family weekend away in a hotel my mum and dad go to regularly and despite having all get family round her, mum constantly said that it wasn't the same as her favourite waitress wasn't there . She kept asking other staff where she was and was really upset to find she'd got another job and asked st reception where she'd gone and could she have her phone number . It worries me that she could easily be taken advantage of as she is so trusting of people she hardly knows . Has anyone else experienced this?

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
My mother was like this with small children. It made me feel uncomfortable and she made the children feel uncomfortable , she was a stranger, after all. I tried to distract her and get her to move away.

I suppose it is more difficult for you @Chelle52.

I do think some people with dementia lose their inhibitions and are unaware of less appropriate behaviour.

karaokePete

Jul 23, 2017
N Ireland
my mum who has been diagnosed with moderate to severe mixed dementia seems to form inappropriate attachments to people such as supermarket cashiers , restaurant waiters etc . She constantly talks about how lovely they are and how much they love her and that she hugs them when she seems them etc . We recently had a family weekend away in a hotel my mum and dad go to regularly and despite having all get family round her, mum constantly said that it wasn't the same as her favourite waitress wasn't there . She kept asking other staff where she was and was really upset to find she'd got another job and asked st reception where she'd gone and could she have her phone number . It worries me that she could easily be taken advantage of as she is so trusting of people she hardly knows . Has anyone else experienced this?
Unfortunately I know this type of behaviour only too well as I see it in my wife. The restraints of social norms can be lost to people with dementia. I would just advise extreme caution as I found that talking to my wife was just met with hostility due to her loss of empathy and reasoning. I just had to find my own way to protect her.

My wife's behaviour blew up in her face one time and she didn't like the experience. Having said that she hasn't learned from her experience - another aspect of the condition. I found that telling everyone about my wife's diagnosis has helped keep the wolves at bay, so to speak, as men who were reacting as if they were getting a 'come on' from her now keep their distance from her and will often just talk to me about how we are coping if they bother with us at all.

Chelle52

Oct 20, 2016
Unfortunately I know this type of behaviour only too well as I see it in my wife. The restraints of social norms can be lost to people with dementia. I would just advise extreme caution as I found that talking to my wife was just met with hostility due to her loss of empathy and reasoning. I just had to find my own way to protect her.

My wife's behaviour blew up in her face one time and she didn't like the experience. Having said that she hasn't learned from her experience - another aspect of the condition. I found that telling everyone about my wife's diagnosis has helped keep the wolves at bay, so to speak, as men who were reacting as if they were getting a 'come on' from her now keep their distance from her and will often just talk to me about how we are coping if they bother with us at all.

Unfortunately my dad also displays similar behaviour ( not diagnosed but becoming increasingly obvious that he has some kind of dementia too ) so sees nothing wrong with mums behaviour . It is incredibly difficult when I'm in the company of both of them and I do wonder what on earth people think!

karaokePete

Jul 23, 2017
N Ireland
Unfortunately my dad also displays similar behaviour ( not diagnosed but becoming increasingly obvious that he has some kind of dementia too ) so sees nothing wrong with mums behaviour . It is incredibly difficult when I'm in the company of both of them and I do wonder what on earth people think!
If nothing else, at least you know the reason for the behaviour and your dad isn't suffering because of it. In my case I was on the cusp of leaving my wife (to the extent of checking out rentals in our home town) but then we got a diagnosis for her and I realised I was dealing with the symptom of a disease rather than something else. We cruise along pretty well most of the time now as, so far, I can, with both physical and emotional effort, manage us both living with the disease. It isn't easy, however, we all have TP for support.