In need of some advice

Katiedn

Sep 16, 2018
First of all i apologise for the long post.
I believe my mum has dementia.
She has most symptoms.
Her memory is declining, shes anxious, depressed angry and paranoid.
she's forgetting where she has placed stuff but ends up finding them in strange places ( the other day she put her bank card in her glasses case which she never does)
She struggles remembering how to do daily tasks like cooking and using certain cleaning products for different things.
She keeps putting rubbish in the food bin instead of the recycling bin.
She walkes around the house at night packing her most important possessions into a bag which she says is just in case someone takes them.
She thinks the tv talks to her, it started with sky news now she thinks Mr tumble from cbeebies, Rylan Clark and Emma Willis from big brother, the cast from strictly come dancing and the news team from itv all talk to her.
I live with her and she sleeps in the floor below me and I can hear her talking and laughing with the tv.
Unfortunately there is one presenter on sky news who she hates and she keeps telling me she comes into the house and tries to steal her bed.
She got so upset one night two weeks ago telling me she had nowhere to sleep as the woman was coming to take her bed.
It took a lot of reassuring to settle her down.
She's getting paranoid also of people outside our house, we live in the centre of town and she thinks people are going to break in. If someone stands near our door she screams and bangs on the window to get them to move.
She's shouting a lot which causes people to look up to our window which makes her more anxious and angry. I have to keep the blinds down which seems to calm her.
She was upset earlier, thinking I was calling her stupid as she keeps forgetting stuff ( i would never) and she shouted for a while, she calmed down and gave me a hug, we had tea and she sort of went back to normal then at bedtime she started getting anxious again and shouting.
Are these common symptoms of dementia?
She does suffer from depression and has done for most of her life, ( she's 62) and has ptsd for the last 7 years but only this past few months have these symptoms started.
I've had many conversations lately with her asking her to go to the doctors to get some help, she seems to think it's all her depression and doesn't seem to recall some of her erratic behaviour, and she refuses saying I'm interfering and she's worried the doctors will give her medication that will make her sleep all day.
I try my best every day to deal with her mood swings but it's getting extremely hard for me to cope without outside support.
Can anyone give me any advice on what to do next?
Thankyou for reading.

try again

Jun 21, 2018
I think you should email that post to your mum's gp and ask for help to diagnose - sell it as a well woman check up.

Cazzita

May 12, 2018
Yes, you need help here so go to the doctor yourself if need be and relate all this to the professionals and start from there. Wishing you lots of luck - loads of people on here will be able to relate to this x

Katiedn

Sep 16, 2018
I think you should email that post to your mum's gp and ask for help to diagnose - sell it as a well woman check up.
Thankyou for that advice, I am currently writing a letter to her GP and hopefully we can go from there.

Katiedn

Sep 16, 2018
Yes, you need help here so go to the doctor yourself if need be and relate all this to the professionals and start from there. Wishing you lots of luck - loads of people on here will be able to relate to this x
Thankyou, I'm writing a letter as we speak to her doctor so hopefully we will get somewhere x

karaokePete

Jul 23, 2017
N Ireland
Hello @Katiedn, you are welcome here and I hope you find the forum friendly and supportive.

I agree with Try Again in relation to the necessity of getting a diagnosis.

Yes, much of what you describe is commonly seen in dementia. However, you mum may also have a point as things like depression can mimic the symptoms of dementia and have to be excluded before a diagnosis is made.

I will post again in a minute with some factsheets that you may find useful to read.

karaokePete

Jul 23, 2017
N Ireland
Here are those Factsheets @Katiedn

https://www.alzheimers.org.uk/sites...nloads/factsheet_assessment_and_diagnosis.pdf

https://www.alzheimers.org.uk/sites/default/files/migrate/downloads/changes_in_behaviour.pdf

https://www.alzheimers.org.uk/sites...ownloads/factsheet_depression_and_anxiety.pdf

Some of the behaviours you mention may be what is know as sundowning and this is mentioned in the factsheets. Others may be a result of anxiety, which is common in dementia, and that too is covered by these factsheets

There is a useful thread with tips on how to talk with a person with impaired memory and that can be found with this link
https://forum.alzheimers.org.uk/threads/compassionate-communication-with-the-memory-impaired.30801/

Last edited:

Sirena

Feb 27, 2018
I agree the symptoms sound as if they could be dementia, and it would help to get her to the doctor. I got my mother to her GP on the pretext of an over 70s annual check up (you could frame it as over 60s or well woman) - a general appointment checking blood pressure and general health, not focussed on her dementia symptoms. The GP was aware of my mother's problems so she then wove the memory/behaviour issues into the appointment.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Micmomgram 5