Improving accessibility on public transport: your thoughts

Shel_B

Staff Member
Staff member
May 5, 2020
Doncaster
Hi everyone,

A colleague in our Dementia Voice Team has a new survey for you – the format is a little different though as its not been created by us here at Alzheimer’s Society. You need to click on the attached PDF and open in Adobe Acrobat, however it is still multiple choice answers, with an option to add your thoughts.

This survey is from a lady called Awa Jagne, who is an intercollegiate student at Imperial College London and University College London. She is currently studying a MSc Transport course which includes a research project, while also working as a Highways Engineer with Leicester City Council. She approached us to get your views to influence her work and her research – we hope you can help!

“The reason why I chose this research topic and am asking these questions is to investigate and find solution on how accessibility can be improved for people with Dementia, that use public transport buses. By answering these research questions, I will be able to identity the keys issues which will form part of my research in order to find solutions, and recommendations which would help improve accessibility.

By completing the attached survey, you consent to the answers you provide being used in an Msc Research project. This may include directly quoting from your answers. Please do not include any personal information (e.g. names) or confidential information (e.g. addresses or specific locations).

Thank you as always for your time and thoughts

Note: If anyone is unable to submit the survey and would like to fill it in as a PDF instead and attach it to an email, or share their thoughts, please email Jane Platts at jane.platts@alzheimers.org.uk

Attachments

• Questionaire Improving Accessibility for People with Dementia using Public Transport Buses.pdf
    587.3 KB · Views: 510
Last edited by a moderator:

Chaplin

May 24, 2015
Bristol
Happy to help with this but can’t they provide in an easier format? It made me laugh that this is about accessibility yet most people don’t have access to Adobe!

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
It's not just a matter of downloading and installing Adobe Reader, it will have to be made default reader in the browser.
Accepting this on install may mean replacing an app with more functionality and leaving some users unable to revert.

Shedrech

Dec 15, 2012
UK
I don't generally deal with attachments such as this as I don't know enough of its content .. it would be interesting to see the questions as a post to see if it's worthwhile trying to download

I found bus drivers were generally good with my dad when we went anywhere together... how he was when he was able to go on his own, I don't know

Personally I think having conductors on buses would help a lot of people... but that's not economically viable

Lawson58

Aug 1, 2014
Victoria, Australia
I don’t live in UK so won’t complete the survey but I had a look at it. It is very simple and obviously a lot of thought has gone into setting it up.

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
. it would be interesting to see the questions as a post to see if it's worthwhile trying to download
Here you are, ticking boxes won't work.

index-1.jpg
index-2.jpg
index-3.jpg
index-4.jpg
index-5.jpg
index-6.jpg

1673333294914a44ad59f892d14bac34-0001.jpg

1673333294914a44ad59f892d14bac34-0002.jpg

1673333294914a44ad59f892d14bac34-0003.jpg
1673333294914a44ad59f892d14bac34-0004.jpg
1673333294914a44ad59f892d14bac34-0005.jpg
1673333294914a44ad59f892d14bac34-0006.jpg

Last edited:

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
I completed the questionnaire in the hope it would send I didn’t want to download adobe reader either I’ve enough problems managing what I have so of course it wouldn’t send :confused:

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
A work around would to complete form, save as PDF and attach to email if one was provided.

HarrietD

Staff Member
Staff member
Apr 29, 2014
London
Hi everyone,

Thanks for the feedback, really helpful! That's a great suggestion @nitram - we've provided an email address below :)

If anyone would like to fill in the survey and attach it as a PDF, or share their thoughts, please email Jane Platts at jane.platts@alzheimers.org.uk

HarrietD

Staff Member
Staff member
Apr 29, 2014
London
@jennifer1967 if you contact the email address above with your thoughts about the questions in the survey, that's absolutely fine too. If you need any help, just PM me :)

Chaplin

May 24, 2015
Bristol
@jennifer1967 if you contact the email address above with your thoughts about the questions in the survey, that's absolutely fine too. If you need any help, just PM me :)
I can see why this group would be a really useful source of valuable data so would like to see a better understanding from those asking for help, to make things as straightforward as possible for the responders and not just the researcher!

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
Jotform was an unfortunate choice of platform, something like SmartSurvey would have been better for the majority of DTP members.

Pejic

Jul 2, 2022
I join those who completed the form but nothing happened when I pressed the submit button. The comment at the top about opening it in Adobe is a trifle unhelpful as usually if a form has not been opened using the required software it doesn't accept input.

jennifer1967

Mar 15, 2020
Southampton
I join those who completed the form but nothing happened when I pressed the submit button. The comment at the top about opening it in Adobe is a trifle unhelpful as usually if a form has not been opened using the required software it doesn't accept input.
i emailed the person mods gave an email address not far from the beginning of the thread. i couldnt submit either. i gave my feedback via the email address and she replied saying she would pass on the information. she also said that a few people were having problems with format

HarrietD

Staff Member
Staff member
Apr 29, 2014
London
A message from Jane:

"Hello all,

A huge thank you and apology for this latest survey. Many of you had issues completing it, and persisted to find ways to still share your thoughts and experiences. You are an amazing bunch of people who give your time to try to improve and influence not only what we do, but what other organisations do, to better the lives of everyone affected by dementia.

Awa is hugely apologetic, unfortunately she is tied by her universty's systems, but did manage in the end to get a ‘word’ version that helped some!"

Thanks again everyone - please do contact Jane at jane.platts@alzheimers.org.uk if you have any feedback about the survey, or if you'd like a copy of the word version.