I'm worried my Dad is showing signs of dementia

RachelCW

Aug 31, 2014
Wiltshire
I'm in need of some advice regarding my dad.

We have Alzheimer's on both sides of the family. My dad's dad had the condition as well as 3 of my dad's uncles. I have read that Alzheimer's can be hereditary hence why I'm worried for my dad given his behaviour and personality changes in the last few years.

My dad has recently turned 54. The way he has been has worsened after his divorce from my mum which began in January 2012. At first he began taking long walks and would say he was going to 'paradise', his personality and being completely changed. For several years now his personality has completely altered, his memory is worsening and, although he is harmless, seems to be losing social skills - he is acting very inappropriately in some situations and believes it to be normal. His personal hygiene has worsened and he also forgets to make contact with family and friends so I am worried he feels isolated. He suffers from depression though won't admit it to himself and won't see a doctor. He often appears disengaged in conversation and will completely change the subject midway through. He hasn't worked for nearly 2 years.

The reason I believe he may be in the very early stages of Alzheimer's is because his behaviour is extremely similar to my grandad's. When I was talking to my dad last week I asked him how my grandad was when he began to show signs of it. My dad replied that my grandad always had a silly nature about him, but took jokes too far and the way he was changed. Another reason being that my uncle phoned several weeks ago worried; he read into Pick's disease and believed my dad's behaviour and personality fit the symptoms completely.

I want to help my dad but I don't know who to go to for help; when my parents were married my mum tried lots of times to call my dad's GP explaining her concerns for his health but they would only speak to him personally so she couldn't do anything. I don't know how to tell my dad I'm worried for his health as he will shrug it off despite telling me on a few occasions he is worried about his memory and whether he is developing Alzheimer's like my grandad. It is so upsetting when I see people being rude to my dad because they don't understand his behaviour and automatically label him as strange.

Some advice would be really appreciated, thank you.

marionq

Apr 24, 2013
Scotland
I'm in need of some advice regarding my dad.

We have Alzheimer's on both sides of the family. My dad's dad had the condition as well as 3 of my dad's uncles. I have read that Alzheimer's can be hereditary hence why I'm worried for my dad given his behaviour and personality changes in the last few years.

My dad has recently turned 54. The way he has been has worsened after his divorce from my mum which began in January 2012. At first he began taking long walks and would say he was going to 'paradise', his personality and being completely changed. For several years now his personality has completely altered, his memory is worsening and, although he is harmless, seems to be losing social skills - he is acting very inappropriately in some situations and believes it to be normal. His personal hygiene has worsened and he also forgets to make contact with family and friends so I am worried he feels isolated. He suffers from depression though won't admit it to himself and won't see a doctor. He often appears disengaged in conversation and will completely change the subject midway through. He hasn't worked for nearly 2 years.

The reason I believe he may be in the very early stages of Alzheimer's is because his behaviour is extremely similar to my grandad's. When I was talking to my dad last week I asked him how my grandad was when he began to show signs of it. My dad replied that my grandad always had a silly nature about him, but took jokes too far and the way he was changed. Another reason being that my uncle phoned several weeks ago worried; he read into Pick's disease and believed my dad's behaviour and personality fit the symptoms completely.

I want to help my dad but I don't know who to go to for help; when my parents were married my mum tried lots of times to call my dad's GP explaining her concerns for his health but they would only speak to him personally so she couldn't do anything. I don't know how to tell my dad I'm worried for his health as he will shrug it off despite telling me on a few occasions he is worried about his memory and whether he is developing Alzheimer's like my grandad. It is so upsetting when I see people being rude to my dad because they don't understand his behaviour and automatically label him as strange.

Some advice would be really appreciated, thank you.

Could you write or email his GP with a list of your concerns and ask if they would call him in for a well Man check up and to assess his memory and cognition. Describe him as a vulnerable adult who may be a risk to himself due to his failing health.