Im new x

Barlow

Nov 9, 2017
Hi. Im new on here. Im waiting for a diagnosis for my mom. Appointment on the 23rd Nov. Things seem to be progressing quickly. Not sure best ways to cope x

MorryLou

Jun 19, 2017
Newcastle
Hi,
We are in the same situation, waiting for a diagnosis for my mother on 7th Dec. I'm going to push for a scan as possibly she may have vascular involvement and this can lead to faster progression.
What I would say is to try to relax for now and wait for the diagnosis appointment. I'm hoping for us, that following diagnosis, the professionals will guide us, as what to do next, as we haven't got a clue either and I'm hoping there is information available to help us cope.
Take care

karaokePete

Jul 23, 2017
N Ireland
The diagnosis will possibly only confirm what you, in your heart, already know; apart from, maybe, being more definitive about the type of dementia involved.
When my wife got her diagnosis the consultant triggered visits to us by a number of professionals who explained the system to us as well as helping with some of the issues we were facing. However, it took several weeks post diagnosis for things to start happening other than the change of meds’ suggested by the Consultant.

chickenlady

Feb 28, 2016
Whilst you're waiting get all the paperwork for Last power of attorney for finances and for health and well being and if necessary get a will made or updated as these will be difficult to do after a diagnosis. Find your local Dementia cafe or Age UK centre to see what support groups run locally, for example my Mum started attending a dementia cafe with Dad and didn't appreciate at first what support she would get from the group. Dad enjoys group activities, music and outings and Mum has benefitted from talks on benefits, home security etc etc.
Your memory clinic should give you lots of information too. Best of luck.