I'm new here and need help with job!

HarveyPearson

Sep 14, 2017
Hi everyone.

I have just came across this brilliant talking forum whilst reading up on Dementia to familiarise myself as I haven't studied it in a while.

I have just got an interview with Alzheimer's Society and I was wondering if anyone could give me some tips??

In my interview I am asked to give a 5 min presentation on an implementation plan for shaping/delivering the Side By Side programme?

I have been doing extensive research into this programme because I am really passionate about helping individuals with dementia. I have previously worked in care as a personal support worker for those whom have dementia and Alzheimer's and I have just recently finished my Masters degree in Psychology so I am so thrilled that I have even been chosen for the interview stage!

With regards to the presentation, are they looking for someone to come up with a whole new idea on what activities can be developed to match the volunteer and individual?

Thank you everyone for your help! :-D

Sam Luvit

Oct 19, 2016
East Sussex
Morning :)

First, congratulations on getting an interview, that usually means you were in the 10% who showed something they want to explore in more depth, so that's an achievement :)

You have said they want an "implementation plan for shaping / delivering ...", if that's a direct quote, I would read it as, how you would go about setting up a Side by Side plan for someone. (I had to look up what the Side by Side programme is)

So, you'd need to find out what their interests are, who would you ask & how, where would you find details of their interests that you could go with them to safely, do you need a risk assessment & how would you do it. What other things could you look at. What are their restrictions, mobility, energy levels & confusion levels. Don't forget, how to deal with problems (covered in risk assessment)

No one is going to expect you to reinvent the wheel, but new eyes look at an old problem in a new way, so you may have some suggestions that could be new. Be prepared to back up with reasons. Refer to research, like the bookcase explanation, for focus on feelings & why it's important not to argue with dementia

Most of all, be yourself, that's what interested them in calling you for an interview.

Lots of luck :D

HarveyPearson

Sep 14, 2017
Morning Sam :)

Morning :)

First, congratulations on getting an interview, that usually means you were in the 10% who showed something they want to explore in more depth, so that's an achievement :)

You have said they want an "implementation plan for shaping / delivering ...", if that's a direct quote, I would read it as, how you would go about setting up a Side by Side plan for someone. (I had to look up what the Side by Side programme is)

So, you'd need to find out what their interests are, who would you ask & how, where would you find details of their interests that you could go with them to safely, do you need a risk assessment & how would you do it. What other things could you look at. What are their restrictions, mobility, energy levels & confusion levels. Don't forget, how to deal with problems (covered in risk assessment)

No one is going to expect you to reinvent the wheel, but new eyes look at an old problem in a new way, so you may have some suggestions that could be new. Be prepared to back up with reasons. Refer to research, like the bookcase explanation, for focus on feelings & why it's important not to argue with dementia

Most of all, be yourself, that's what interested them in calling you for an interview.

Lots of luck :D

Thank you for your great advice! I's currently building upon lots of research to ensure I nail it on the head. But... I keep confusing myself. Here is what the letter says exactly:

' As part of the interview process you are asked to develop a five minute presentation based on
the information in the summary below. You should think about what you would include in an
implementation plan for shaping / delivering this service.
 The Side by Side service will aim to support people with dementia and their carers
through volunteers.
 The service will provide training for volunteers to ensure that they are confident and
equipped to engage and support the service users (people with dementia).
 The service will build upon the best practice identified in existing services but will not be
identical. For example, we are aware that the number of people accessing our current
volunteer lead befriending services has been restricted due to strict guidelines on
matching the service users’ requirements with volunteer’s requirements.
 The Side by Side service differs from existing befriending services in that a volunteer will
be placed with a service user if all stakeholders are confident in going forward with the
service and of course that all legal requirements have been met. There is not a stringent
matching process which will allow quicker access to the service.'

Extremely lengthy I know!

I read this as though they want me to give a presentation on the already-existing programme with comments on how successful it is so far but then offer some more suggestions on how it could be developed?

Is this what you read it as as-well?

(Sorry for this lengthy piece- I just like to pick someone else's brain about it! haha)

Sam Luvit

Oct 19, 2016
East Sussex
Ok. First of all, once you've got all your info, time your presentation, it needs to be over 4 minutes & just under 5 minutes. I used to print off the presentation & hand it out so they can watch & listen, without making notes & have it in front of them. You are likely to have 3to 5 people on a board interview!

"include in an implementation plan for shaping / delivering this service"

What do you need to implement it? Risk assessment, Carer checks like CRB (or whatever it's called now), lists of activities in the area: library, garden centres, art shows, coffee mornings & accessibility to them, wheelchair ramps & grab rails. Contact details or web site addresses for quick checks of what's on next month

What do you need to deliver it? Carers, volunteers, activities to go to, transport links, insurance, permission from relatives or SS. Relevant training & ongoing support for volunteers

Learn the jargon (PWD Person With Dementia), but keep the presentation in plain English!

 The service will build upon the best practice identified in existing services but will not be
identical. For example, we are aware that the number of people accessing our current
volunteer lead befriending services has been restricted due to strict guidelines on
matching the service users’ requirements with volunteer’s requirements.

Best practice is not restricted to the same service. So if there is a "company" with excellent communication flowing from MD to cleaner & back up, that method of communicating is Best Practice. Look around at what you want to achieve. Text messages won't be ideal for PWD, but group messages with links for volunteers or group emails as used in organisations that rely on volunteers could be. It's about looking outside your area at what works for the same action.

 The Side by Side service differs from existing befriending services in that a volunteer will
be placed with a service user if all stakeholders are confident in going forward with the
service and of course that all legal requirements have been met. There is not a stringent
matching process which will allow quicker access to the service.'

Quicker access is good, the present delays are soul destroying for carers, but what would you look at to match PWD with a volunteer? Compassion, willingness to learn, coping strategy. A person who has traditionally been a planner could excel as they are used to working through problems.

I read this as though they want me to give a presentation on the already-existing programme with comments on how successful it is so far but then offer some more suggestions on how it could be developed?

Sort of, but how will you implement it

Gotta go, will look back later :eek:

Philbo

Feb 28, 2017
Kent
You don't say if you are going to present using a slide show (PowerPoint?) or flip charts etc.

Whichever you use, keep it simple, with key information you want to get across as bullet points. You can then talk around these and fill in the detail so that you can fill the time appointed as necessary. I would have thought 4 to 5 slides at most.

I used to (as someone has mentioned too) use the notes facility in PowerPoint to provide more information (to jog my memory whilst presenting). I also handed out printed copies of the slides and notes but generally after I did the presentation. This was to avoid people reading, rather than paying attention to what I was trying to get across but the choice is yours?

If you are using presentation aids, make sure you keep eye contact with the interviewers, so you are not presenting to the screen or flip chart.

Good luck.
Phil

Sam Luvit

Oct 19, 2016
East Sussex
Three things I thought of while out

1. KISS - Keep It Simple St*pid
2. Detail, is what you stick on the donkey - don't go into lengthy explanations, people get bored or already know

3. If you have personal experience or know someone with it, think / ask what would they want. For me it would be not to mollycoddle mum as she gets very irritated, so the volunteer needs to listen to what the PWD wants, responds to

Finally, just a suggestion, but helps with timing, I write out (typed in double line spacing), everything I wanted to say, like a speech, don't learn it, or it sounds rehearsed, but it helps with keeping eye contact across all the interviewers