I'll eat my hat

Helen33

Jul 20, 2008
Surprise, surprise. The social worker phoned again this afternoon to say that she had arranged for us to have a sitting service for 3 days a week until the end of September when we will have 5 days a week. This is with Crossroads. She said Crossroads will ring me next week to arrange to come and see me.

Here is a picture of 'eating hat'

View attachment 3475

I feel like singing and dancing but I don't know what Alan will think of it. We'll cross that bridge when we get to it.

Love

Last edited:

Lynne

Jun 3, 2005
Suffolk,England
So pleased Helen, fingers crossed it comes to be, soon!

Attachments

• Rotating HURRAH__28330.gif
    Rotating HURRAH__28330.gif
    108.2 KB · Views: 718

Helen33

Jul 20, 2008
Hy Lynne

You do know that it's your fault that I'm now into this image posting thing:D I hope it's only a phase with me.

Love

BeckyJan

Nov 28, 2005
Derbyshire
Helen:

Whow - did you say 3 days rising to 5 days. That is wonderful and I am so pleased for you. I get 4 hrs. per week and pay for an extra 6 hrs on a Wednesday for myself.

Do you know if this is the normal sort of help given in your area? Derbyshire is supposed to be one of the best but it makes us look pitiful.

I do hope Alan adjusts well - I am sure he will although it may take a few visits before he gets to know and understand the sitter.

I guess you will need indigestion tablets next!

Best wishes Jan

Helen33

Jul 20, 2008
Hi Jan

Do you know if this is the normal sort of help given in your area?

I've no idea. This is all new to me. However, the lady from the Alzheimers Society did say to me that Crossroads in Nottingham doesn't having a waiting list. I told her some while back that I'd seen on TP that people were on a waiting list and that's when she told me that there wasn't here. She encouraged me then to apply to Crossroads but I thought it was too soon.

This experience isn't at all how I imagined it to be. I imagined a long struggle with me having to ring and pester people for support. I can't believe it's so easy:confused: I am honestly puzzled considering what I've read about other people's experiences, including yours.

Still, it hasn't happened yet. My dad always said "don't spend money until you know it's cleared in the bank".;)

Love

Last edited:

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Hello Helen

What wonderful news. :D

Nottingham is probably the only place in the UK without a waiting list.

I do hope you and Alan get someone you can build a good relationship with. Crossroads have a very good reputation in trying to match the carer to the personality and interests of the cared for.

Who knows, you may all go canoeing together one day. :cool:

My word Helen, you must have been frazzled on the day of the visit.;)

Love xx

Helen33

Jul 20, 2008
Hi Sylvia

My word Helen, you must have been frazzled on the day of the visit.

That's the thing that I can't understand Sylvia, because I wasn't frazzled.

As I was typing this the phone rang, and guess who, Crossroads!!!! She is coming to see us tomorrow to set it up and she has confirmed that by end of September I will have 5 days a week from 3pm - 6pm (3 hrs)!!

Now I feel guilty:confused:

Love

gigi

Nov 16, 2007
East Midlands
Brilliant news....

Hello Helen,

That is such good news.....:D

Why should you feel guilty?

Accept the help offered...work with it to suit yourself and Alan...

It's so important to get it put in place now....I'm really pleased for you both.....:)

Love gigi xx

Helen33

Jul 20, 2008
Hi Gigi

Thank you. I feel guilty because I'm not frazzled and because Alan seems to be 'normal'.

However, Alan doesn't know what day it is, he doesn't know what month or year it is. He doesn't know which country he lives in and he doesn't know his address or city in which he lives. It's not that he can't say them, he really doesn't know! He can't use the bathroom taps etc. etc. I'm just having a word with myself:eek:

I am glad that you are pleased. I'll talk it all through with the woman tomorrow when she meets us.

Love

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
Absolutely brilliant news, Helen!:)

Don't feel in the least bit guilty, you are getting what every carer is entitled to. Unfortunately, we don't all get it, but that's not your fault.

I hope your meeting goes well tomorrow, and they have someone Alan will relate to.

Love,

Helen33

Jul 20, 2008
Do you think it will be one carer or several? Can you please share your first experiences of being at this stage of the process and what I might expect?

Thanks

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
They do try to make it just one carer, but it depends on who they have available. Obviously they don't like taking a carer away from a client thay have built up a relationship with.

John had two, one for each day. One of them was interested in art, and brought art books to discuss with him, and she did some drawing with him. She also took John and Skye out for a walk each time.

The other one, though nice enough, didn't have much in common with him. But she would take him out in the car, for an ice cream, etc. He found her chatter quite wearing, but she was very kind.

It actually worked out well to have two, because if one was on holiday or off sick, the other would fill in.

You might get someone who would do some gardening -- now wouldn't that be bliss!:)

They try not to have more than two, because that's too confusing.

Helen33

Jul 20, 2008
Thanks Hazel

That's useful information thank you. Can I ask one more question? In order to get a carer, do I interview them or are we appointed a carer(s)? I realise that this might sound silly, but I have absolutely no idea how the system works.

Love

gigi

Nov 16, 2007
East Midlands
Helen...

In my own "limited" experience..they will send someone out to be introduced..sometimes with a "senior" to introduce them...

But I have no knowledge of Crossroads and how they work..maybe others can help on that one.

Interestingly I googled Crossroads last night and found them in Leicester City..and South Notts...we fall between the 2...:rolleyes:

And as for the guilt....shed it now.....:D

This help is an entitlement...it's not up to you to judge whether you are more worthy than others of help...

Accept and advance....:D

Love gigi xx

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
No, you don't interview the individual carers.

The manager will ask you all sorts of questions tomorrow about interests, etc, and will try to match a carer.

Crossroads is responsible for its employees, and will have vetted them all.

Helen33

Jul 20, 2008
Hi Gigi

Thanks. You are quite right. I didn't ask for all this help, I only asked for help (expecting 3 hours a week) at the most, so you are right, I'll shed the guilt.

Love

Helen33

Jul 20, 2008
Hi Hazel

Crossroads is responsible for its employees, and will have vetted them all.

Thanks for the info Hazel. I did need to know the above and tonight I'll carefully think of Alan's interests and how he might use them best.

Love

sad nell

Mar 21, 2008
bradford west yorkshire
great news

So pleased for you and Alan, it will make such a difference, our crossroads carer has just left, and put asmile on both our faces with his down to earth caring nature hope yours is as wonderfull best wishes Pam

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jwpp