IF I have dementia..?

Jaed

May 6, 2017
Hello

I've finally plucked up the nerve to write this. I've been wondering for a couple of years now if I have very early signs that I'll have dementia. It began with little things that can be dismissed as 'we all do that when we're tired, stressed etc. But now it's bit more- I struggle to remember words I need (I'm an English teacher), I can't add and subtract numbers easily and if there are two parts to solving a maths problem, I keep forgetting which part I'm doing and why... then I have to stop and think about what I'm trying to do and start again. (All this is using paper and pen because I can't hold it in my head).

I'm not stressed or tired and I'm now living with my mum, caring for her because she has dementia. I did a short course for dementia carers and listened to some people who seemed just like me but said they had dementia. Then one of the ladies mentioned that it's common to veer off to the side while walking. I was a bit shocked because I'd just been telling a friend that I do that.

I've stopped telling people I think I may develop dementia because they just tell me not to be daft. I don't know if I have it or not but my question is, since there isn't any cure, is there any point at this stage asking for a test? I want to go back to work one day and don't want to tell an employer I've been diagnosed with mild dementia.

Thank you for reading...

cragmaid

Oct 18, 2010
North East England
If you are really concerned, visit your GP and tell them your concerns. Have Blood tests and memory tests, MRI and ECG.
Many illnesses can produce the same syptoms, eg Vitamin B12 deficiency, or Thyroid Deficency..... both of which are treatable.

Go and find out. Then you can decide where you go from there......

Good Luck.

LadyA

Oct 19, 2009
Ireland
Maureen is right. Being proactive about getting everything checked out will in itself make you feel more in control, and you will maybe find out if there are any health problems at play - other than stress.

Remember, having a lot on our minds - work, caring responsibilities, worry about a parent's deteriorating health, etc, can have a temporary affect on our own memory and concentration.

caqqufa

Jun 4, 2016
Hello

I've finally plucked up the nerve to write this. I've been wondering for a couple of years now if I have very early signs that I'll have dementia. It began with little things that can be dismissed as 'we all do that when we're tired, stressed etc. But now it's bit more- I struggle to remember words I need (I'm an English teacher), I can't add and subtract numbers easily and if there are two parts to solving a maths problem, I keep forgetting which part I'm doing and why... then I have to stop and think about what I'm trying to do and start again. (All this is using paper and pen because I can't hold it in my head).

I'm not stressed or tired and I'm now living with my mum, caring for her because she has dementia. I did a short course for dementia carers and listened to some people who seemed just like me but said they had dementia. Then one of the ladies mentioned that it's common to veer off to the side while walking. I was a bit shocked because I'd just been telling a friend that I do that.

I've stopped telling people I think I may develop dementia because they just tell me not to be daft. I don't know if I have it or not but my question is, since there isn't any cure, is there any point at this stage asking for a test? I want to go back to work one day and don't want to tell an employer I've been diagnosed with mild dementia.

Thank you for reading...

I fully agree with Craigmaid and Lady A.
Visit your doctor as, whatever it is, the earliest you deal with it the better.
Good luckxxxx

philamillan

Feb 26, 2015
Sometimes the most significant problem is worry.

Try not to worry so much. One of the most common reasons for dementia like symptoms is depression. Ensure that is not part of the picture.

I saw this TED talk and thought it may be appropriate here. Said in some degree of jest but has an important underlying truth.

https://www.ted.com/talks/alanna_shaikh_how_i_m_preparing_to_get_alzheimer_s

It highlights the important things about us that we need to be in order to still have a pleasant life, even if with dementia.