idiots guide to putting a photo in a reply to a post.

mynyddisamrs

Feb 1, 2010
North Wales
Sorry for being a bit thick but ...can you please let me know how to post a photo from my computer pictures. I get as far as attach the required pictures but can't fathom out what comes next. Thick or what?.... :eek: don't answer!!
Jackie

elaine n

Jun 1, 2010
west country uk
Hi Jackie, this is what Helen told me to do:
click new reply to post a message
type message & scroll down
click manage attachments
click browse
choose photo from your computer
click upload
wait for picture to load
click close window
scroll back to typed message
click on the paperclip
click the attachment
click submit reply

it worked for me (evenually!) Good luck!:D xxelaine

muse

May 27, 2008
Cambridge
Ok. I followed the idiot's guide. When I get to "click on the paperclip", there's no attachment. The process just starts all over again with the browser.

In the earlier step it tells me that it's uploading - "please wait". And I do until this message disappears. What am I missing? I've sent pics on e-mail attachments, and I don't think I'm thick. Just have a gap in my education.:eek:

Thanks for any suggestions. I know Helen has offered to talk me through it, but I tend to be on here fairly late at night.

Thanks - Kathy

Margaret79

May 11, 2010
Wisbech, Cambridgeshire
Hi Kathy

Once it's uploaded, I close the window and go back to my message and preview the message and the pic is there. I don't do anything with a paperclip.

Hope this helps.

Love & Hugs

Margaret xx

simonmonty

Nov 22, 2008
Yorkshire
how do you tell from this which picture you want to up load ?

Close this window Manage Attachments
Upload File from your Computer

Upload File from a URL

Uploading File(s) - Please Wait
Attachment Key
Filetype Max Filesize Max Width Max Height
bmp 293.4 KB - -
doc 293.4 KB - -
gif 293.4 KB - -
jpe 293.4 KB - -
jpeg 293.4 KB - -
jpg 293.4 KB - -
pdf 293.4 KB - -
png 293.4 KB - -
psd 293.4 KB - -
txt 293.4 KB - -
zip 293.4 KB - -

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
You need to click browse and find your pic. Choose your poc znd press upload. After please wait if you scroll down you'll see the name of your pic in red. Close manage attachments window and preview
post. If your pic is shown then press submit post. The only problem will be if your pic is too large. You may have to resize it before it will upload ignore the list of types of file that's only to tell you what kind of pic can be uploaded. Hope this makes some sense!

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
Just thought. Name of your pic may not ne in red but it will be listed. Can't check now as I'm using my phone.

simonmonty

Nov 22, 2008
Yorkshire
Ok thanks izzy :) My mum :)

Attachments

• IMG_0593.JPG
    IMG_0593.JPG
    21.8 KB · Views: 472

Sandy

Mar 23, 2005
This post I made a while ago explains that there are two main ways to add a picture to a post:

http://forum.alzheimers.org.uk/showthread.php?p=314805#post314805

I use the paperclip method every time as it allows you to put the images wherever you want and not just at the bottom of your post.

If you click on the paper clip when no files have been attached yet, you should get this pop-up window (sorry this is a large image, but needs to be clear):

manage_popup.jpg

Once all your images are attached, you can just go to the area in the post where you want the image to appear - clicking into that spot so that the cursor is in the right place. Click on the paper clip again and you should see a list of your images and click the one you want.

The TP software will then insert the image (using a numeric ID for the image) which should look like this:

attached_image.jpg

Happy to answer more questions once people have had a go.

Take care,

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
Kathy, are you re-sizing your pic? This may be why it won't upload. I usually re-size mine to about 3" by 2", and they upload OK. If you don't see your pic appear on the browse pop-up, it hasn't uploaded.

You can send a full-sized pic by email, but not on TP.

As Sandy says, if you don't use the paper clip, the software just puts the pic at the end of your post -- fine if you're just posting one pic. But if you want to post your pics with writing in between, the paper clip will do this for you.

Sandy

Mar 23, 2005
The size issue is an interesting point.

I tend to automatically size my images so that they are 800 pixels wide by 600 pixels high (as big as the smallest screen size - about half of a modern screen size).

So this morning I tried to upload a picture that was six times larger than the maximum file size permitted (1,917Kb compared to 293.4Kb) and the TP software did upload it and re-sized it automatically - which I did not expect. It only took about 10 seconds to upload.

It was still a huge image (1785 x 1339 pixels) - much larger than my screen.

So perhaps it is not image size that is the problem. If the image was too large for TP to cope with, I would expect some sort of error message to appear.

geum123

May 20, 2009
Yes Elaine,

He/she takes a trip upwards every night.
At least it means he/she isn't munching anything on the ground.

Thanks to all those who've posted advice/instructions on how to get the picture here:)

regards,
Geum

jimbo 111

Jan 23, 2009
North Bucks
I think all grandparents love the idea of 'showing off' their
grand chidren
Being no different than all those other countless millions
I thought I would like to show you my twin grand children
(and at the same time master the art(I hope ) of reducing the size and posting pictures)
jimbo111

Attachments

• E & E (2).jpg
    E & E (2).jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 338