Ideas for store cupboard items so MIL doesn't starve?

Jaxx23

Mar 15, 2012
JayGun, my mum is exactly the same...she doesn't cook but does have four good meals per week at her day centre. But as all these meals miraculously appear, she has now forgotten to even think about eating for herself, well except for crisps !! As advised I now buy mum picky food, such as sausage rolls, crisps, little bits of chicken, scotch eggs, you get the idea, so if she is hungry there is stuff there. I also go in every day in my lunch break to make a sandwich with picky bits for her tea, and leave it on the side.

Mum also had a few accidents, my belief is is that is is faecal overflow, following a scan over a year ago, and deciding it was more than likely faecal backup and nothing serious looking. So now after a trip to the docs she has one sachet per day of Fybogel. Seems to have done the trick, although they did want a stool sample, and then depending a colonoscopy....if we think we should do it, again Im not keen, I just know she will stress and get very anxious as she is now at the stage where she worries about getting home.

Quilty

Aug 28, 2014
GLASGOW
Think calories and keeping her happy

Hello,

Not eating enough is part of this terrible disease. I would recommend tubs of rice pudding, yoghurts, custard and fruit cake. Snack boxes of tried fruit and nuts is also a good thing to try. Mostly they don't need to go in the fridge, last a very long time and taste nice. Fruit cake can keep you regular. Plastic tubs or ready mixed fruit and jelly too. You need roughage and calories.

Stop worrying about a balanced diet and tempt them instead. If they can stimulate their appetite then look at spreads for toast or sandwich toppings. They are not growing children so stop worrying about veggies!

In the end, if they eat enough to keep going we should be happy. My mum lives on biscuits and ice cream. What is the point in fighting? Maybe if I was facing what she was I would say "stuff it" and do the same.

Bets of luck everyone. Chill unless they are drastically losing weight". The clincher question is - do their clothes still fit OK? I got this advice from the social worker.

Lindy50

Dec 11, 2013
Cotswolds
You're right, Quilty, my mum is only losing a bit of weight so maybe I should chill a bit more about her diet....it's just that when she looks so pale and is so wobbly on her feet, I feel that some decent food at least is called for. So that's why I take her out at least once a week, take in ready made food twice a week, buy loads of cakes etc.

Fruit cake! I never thought of that as roughage ....thank you. :)

All the best everyone :)

Lindy xx

FozzyC

Aug 3, 2014
Staffordshire
Liking the fruit cake idea! Maybe worth starting Xmas cakes early and making some mini ones like my daughter did in baked bean half tins for mom and dad? Maybe with a bit less brandy in?

JayGun

Jun 24, 2013
the medicine given before a colonoscopy has a strong purging effect....so that may solve the problem if your Mum will take it and/ or tolerate it,. Do you think she will cooperate with having the Colonoscopy?

I think she will find the whole thing very frightening Dunkers. And it's when she's frightened that she is at her most unmanageable. As I understand it the doctor has jumped straight to colonoscopy as a diagnostic tool because MIL is an "unreliable witness" on the subject of her diet and symptoms - and a stool sample just isn't happening.

But how it is to be managed I can't imagine at this point.

JayGun

Jun 24, 2013
Jaygun when you speak to the doctor ask about what your MIL will have to do to prepare for a colonoscopy. I'm sure I have read on here previously that there is a complicated regime about what you can eat/drink beforehand. If so would MIL be able to manage this?

I can't imagine how this is to be managed. I think it will be difficult to get her to take the stuff and I think she will be very frightened by the effects. :(

JayGun

Jun 24, 2013

I really hope you get a proper answer from the GP when you see him/her next week. The bowel prep they send out for cleansing the colon before scoping is really like an industrial strength laxative and can act super quickly so be ready and possibly stay with her while she has to take it! I've had several scopes so I know from experience... On the original subject of meals, have you thought on small frozen ready meals? I'm sure you have, we are thinking on trying the mini-meal range from one of the home food delivery companies ( didn't know if it's ok to mention them or not) ... Hoping all goes well for MIL and you xxx[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the suggestion lovely. We'll give those a go. We see the GP again on Wednesday, if MIL will let me in the room.

JayGun

Jun 24, 2013
This is a battle I have too. I've disconnected mum's gas cooker for safety but not got ann electric one as we're in the middle of moving her nearer me but this has been fraught with probs. All I have is a microwave at her place. When I visit I microwave a meal either convenience or home cooked. Meanwhile she eats Higgedy Pies, small plastic cups of preached in their own juice, 'nakd' cocoa bars which are date n nut look like chocolate. I also make smoothies disguised as mint chocolate ie fresh mint with grated chocolate but also have spinach n other green veg. In them. Lettuce or salad leaves tossed in olive oil gets my mum moving after constipation but its hard work getting her to eat it. Sorry not much help but some ideas maybe?

Definitely some great ideas. I like the sound of those date and nut bars, I think we'd have a pretty good chance of working those in somewhere. Thanks ever so much.

JayGun

Jun 24, 2013
Hi, struggling with similar situation but with a complicated aspect that dad (recently diagnosed, total denial, moderate mixed dementia) cares for my mum (frail, multiple falls, depressed, heart failure, hardly eats, misses medication). So I have been very concerned about what mum eats, I often visited after work and she's taken no pills, eaten nothing all day. She has had three falls in last six weeks and broke her fibula in her leg in the first of those.

Dad will get up and make himself breakfast, he also eats a lot of fruit, does himself a sandwich, but mum will either be forgotten or refuse. I have finally got lunchtime carer in during week and asked she gives mom lunch, I have then needed to see something that's not mouldy is in fridge for carer to offer. I've taken little higgidy quiches which mum likes, plates of ready made sandwiches, but it's hard to get those over on a regular basis so I have been racking my brains for things mum would eat that can stay in the cupboard. Dad often tells those who visit, including carer or my lovely friends who try to help, that they don't need to do food as he will do something for them both after they leave, I suspect he doesn't. He wants everyone to believe, or maybe he does believe himself, that mums diet is fine and he does EVERYTHING for her? If you saw state of kitchen and how dad handles food you would refuse to eat.

Dad told me last week he doesn't want me taking food because then the food he buys or prepares then goes to waste. Truth is he over buys and overcooks constantly and the fridge becomes full of rotted corn on cob, mouldy stewed apple he has prepared, out of date yoghurts etc etc. the only reason I take food is to try to stop him poisoning my mum, one good bout of food poisoning would finish her I fear. Dad fixates on certain foods, currently pork scratchings, and when I ask if mum has eaten I'm told 'oh she's had a bag of scratchings, she loves them!'. He fetches things out of freezer but forgets so I find a cottage pie dated 18 August, so dad, is this out of freezer, er yes, must be, so when did you defrost it? He isn't sure, obviously. So mum lives on diet of scratchings, whisky and liquorice allsorts it seems.

Dad regailed me with the lovely Sunday dinner he cooked, mum hardly ate any. He said mum had told him when to put things in the oven etc (he has never done domestic tasks, he didn't wash up until over 70, never cooked). I said how nice that he and mum could work together in the kitchen with mum sitting on a chair and advising him and she said 'oh, I'm not allowed in the kitchen'. Dad said she just gets in his way. Oh and he polices the fridge like a hawk, terrified we will throw things away, which of course we have to do sneakily to remove mouldy and out of date items.

So my poor mums diet is controlled heavily by dad. Mum doesn't have dementia, but is profoundly depressed, telling me she wishes she was dead and is a prisoner in her own home. Dad is angry at me because he blames me for his diagnosis, his main issue is possibility of losing his licence, I went to memory appointments with him and did prompt him about a bump he had on hospital car park when he denied any issues. Truth is he's had a lot more accidents than that and I should have kept quiet but reported my concerns separately and saved myself a lot of grief this last week. I am at the point of not being allowed to go round or do anything and he has concealed that mum fell again this week.

My SIL suggested small ready meals at M&S she tried for her nan, but I fear he would throw them away because remember, he looks after mums food. I fear mum is going to become a battleground, she is going to be how he proves there is nothing wrong with him.

I have spoken to their GP and have appt to call again Thursday (have to make sure I'm not seen at surgery). I'm taking them for flu jabs today so it will be interesting to see how mums bruises are explained. My hubby is taking her to fracture clinic Thursday so maybe when on her own she can discuss what she wants. I'm there for falls pendant alarm visit Friday. GP did SS referral, at that time things weren't so bad, but I had to update them yesterday for mums protection but asked they are careful how they go in as I'm in enough trouble already, as only one can't play good cop, bad cop with a sibling.

Will trawl this thread for suggestions. Maybe I can hide tinned goods and share their location with Carer? Sorry to ramble, but at end of my tether, don't wish to hijack post, but can empathise with concerns about nutrition and my daughter, a dietician tells me that getting calories in is main thing, even if it's full fat, cakes, biscuits. Wondering whether to see GP about supplement drinks for mum though?

Oh my goodness FozzyC, this is a very hard situation for you to be in, I think you've hit the nail right on the head when you say that doing everything for your mum is how your dad is trying to prove that he's fine. Something about that really chimed with me and reminded me of my MIL.

I really hope the GP and SS have been able to help.

JayGun

Jun 24, 2013
JayGun, my mum is exactly the same...she doesn't cook but does have four good meals per week at her day centre. But as all these meals miraculously appear, she has now forgotten to even think about eating for herself, well except for crisps !! As advised I now buy mum picky food, such as sausage rolls, crisps, little bits of chicken, scotch eggs, you get the idea, so if she is hungry there is stuff there. I also go in every day in my lunch break to make a sandwich with picky bits for her tea, and leave it on the side.

Mum also had a few accidents, my belief is is that is is faecal overflow, following a scan over a year ago, and deciding it was more than likely faecal backup and nothing serious looking. So now after a trip to the docs she has one sachet per day of Fybogel. Seems to have done the trick, although they did want a stool sample, and then depending a colonoscopy....if we think we should do it, again Im not keen, I just know she will stress and get very anxious as she is now at the stage where she worries about getting home.

It's very difficult isn't it? I have singularly failed to get MIL to take Senokot or Fybogel. She's very hard to help. Fingers crossed that it's nothing serious for both mums.

JayGun

Jun 24, 2013
Hello,

Not eating enough is part of this terrible disease. I would recommend tubs of rice pudding, yoghurts, custard and fruit cake. Snack boxes of tried fruit and nuts is also a good thing to try. Mostly they don't need to go in the fridge, last a very long time and taste nice. Fruit cake can keep you regular. Plastic tubs or ready mixed fruit and jelly too. You need roughage and calories.

Stop worrying about a balanced diet and tempt them instead. If they can stimulate their appetite then look at spreads for toast or sandwich toppings. They are not growing children so stop worrying about veggies!

In the end, if they eat enough to keep going we should be happy. My mum lives on biscuits and ice cream. What is the point in fighting? Maybe if I was facing what she was I would say "stuff it" and do the same.

Bets of luck everyone. Chill unless they are drastically losing weight". The clincher question is - do their clothes still fit OK? I got this advice from the social worker.

Thank you lovely. You've given me an idea... I bet MIL would eat ice cream am and tat would probably bung her up much less than all the cake and white bread she eats. Excellent. :D thank you.

JayGun

Jun 24, 2013
You're right, Quilty, my mum is only losing a bit of weight so maybe I should chill a bit more about her diet....it's just that when she looks so pale and is so wobbly on her feet, I feel that some decent food at least is called for. So that's why I take her out at least once a week, take in ready made food twice a week, buy loads of cakes etc.

Fruit cake! I never thought of that as roughage ....thank you. :)

All the best everyone :)

Lindy xx

Fruit cake is such a great idea isn't it. :D

JayGun

Jun 24, 2013
Liking the fruit cake idea! Maybe worth starting Xmas cakes early and making some mini ones like my daughter did in baked bean half tins for mom and dad? Maybe with a bit less brandy in?

We're having Christmas pudding this Sunday. MIL will definitely eat that, and it's full of fruit. :D