I would be interested to hear what the first things you noticed with your Alzheimer's

CloudDog

Aug 21, 2013
I am pre diagnosis - pre testing - i don't know how to make a gp not brush me off - i'm 38

I have had a bunch of things happen and happening.

I really would appreciate your story especially your early story

Don't be worried if you can't do it in 2 lines - more is better..

I don't think i have that much memory though but I need to see a GP

Please you can't have too much detail here - i really need to know others experiences in their own descriptive language!!

Chook

Jun 14, 2013
Westcountry
Hi CloudDog

It's my mum who has dementia so I'll try to help the best I can. I'm 38 myself and can't imagine how scared you are.

Mum wasn't diagnosed until she was in her late 60s but when she was in her 50s and still working, she would say that they were getting frustrated with her because she just couldn't learn new things, and she would forget things they'd told her. My mum was very good at her job previous to this.

Have you got an appointment with your gp? I think gps are more willing to help someone who is younger with memory loss because it's not usual. It could be that you've got something else wrong that is causing the memory loss.

Wishing you the best of luck, keep us posted.

Chook

Last edited:

BeckyJan

Nov 28, 2005
Derbyshire
Hi,
To be honest everyone is different. My husband's story is vastly different to those of others on the forum although there is always some similarity.

I suggest you make a list of things that are happening to you as they happen. Take a copy of that along to the Doctor so he can judge for himself how seriously you are worried about it.

There about 100 different reasons for memory loss so your GP will need to take various tests. For example it could be thyroid problems, depression, stress related and many others.

Best wishes

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Hello CloudDog

As BeckyJan says, everyone is different but I understand you need to start somewhere and your User name CloudDog , I imagine , describes exactly how you feel. My husband used to say he felt it was foggy all the time, some times were better than others though.

His first symptom was depression. I suspect he felt something was wrong but didn`t know what.

Then came confusion. He would open every cupboard in the kitchen before he could find a cup to make a drink.
The same applied to finding his clothes.

Those symptoms lasted a long time, while the GP treated him for depression and when no medication helped eventually sent him for a brain scan which diagnosed Alzheimer`s.

At your young age, if you really are worried you do need to persevere with your GP. If you can remember, or if you have anyone to support you, the best thing to do is keep a diary of your concerns and `mistakes` you make.

Good luck. Please keep in touch and let us know what happens with you. There will be plenty of support and understanding from those with dementia and carers alike.

FifiMo

Feb 10, 2010
Wiltshire
Hiya CloudDog,

I have a few suggestions based on our experiences with dementia...

Firstly, get yourself an A4 page a day diary. This is going to become your central point of reference for all things. If you need to make a note of appointments then they go in the diary. If you need someone to drive you there, put in the diary who it is, what time they are picking you up. Put your appointment letter in there and write down phone numbers that you might need in a hurry eg your driver, the hospital that kind of thing. At the bottom of the page write a few notes each day about how you have been that day, things like...we're you relaxed, anxious, under pressure..did anything happen that highlighted to you that you had forgotten about something, what other challenges did you have that day. Also include feedback from others...X told me I had forgotten a conversation we had yesterday, Y told me they were noticing I was struggling to remember details like ABC.

At the back of the diary write down all your contacts and their addresses and phone numbers.

Also write down useful information that you can't always remember quickly any more. Stupid things even, like, say, Bin Collection Day is a Friday. It might be a list of bills you have to pay each month that are not on direct debit..then you can check if you have paid them.
List of birthdays of family and friends.

You might be thinking 'Geez, Im not that bad' I don't need to do this. Part of the reason to do this is so that it becomes part of your routine. So when you really do start to struggle, all the important information is in one place. You will be less anxious than if you can't find things quickly, or you can't remember where to find XY or Z.

For the same reason as the diary, invest in a wipe board for the kitchen where you can leave reminders for yourself or others can leave messages too. Might be to note what items you need to remember to get when you go shopping for example. Might need to jog your memory to do a security check before going to bed.

If you start things now, it could mean that all these things in years to come allow you to continue to function independently.

As to your GP and your concern that you may not be listened to etc. why not make an appointment for a couple of weeks time (i would ask for one of those longer evening appointments so you have time to discuss things without feeling rushed) and in the next few days write a letter to your GP so they have read it before you get there. I think you might find that it is easier for you to write things down rather than have to talk about them. So your letter might say something like...

Dear GP,

I have just made an appointment to see you on xxx (date) at YYY time. I am anxious about this appointment because it is to do with problems I am encountering due to, what feels to me, a rapidly decreasing ability to remember things on a day to day basis. I know that I am only. Xx years old but this has become a serious issue for me and other people are also noticing how I have changed and how I am now struggling. I have made a list below of what has been happening over the past xx months which I thought might help you to understand why I need your help to find out what is going on.

Xxxx
Xxxx
Xxxx

I hope writing to you up front gives you sufficient background so we can have a meaningful discussion when we meet next week and helps you understand how anxious I am. I will also bring my diary with me so you can see the challenges I am having to resolve on a daily basis and how these seem to be progressing quickly/slowly at the moment.

Your faithfully,

XXX

Hope this helps but if you need more information etc then just let us know,

Fiona

creativesarah

Apr 22, 2010
Upton Northamptonshire
Hi Cloud dog lots of wise advice already

is there any history of dementia in your family, its worth putting that in your diary too

Hope its just a blip that can be sorted

Much support Sarah