I went to bed early to try to get some sleep and was called by my mother's care home at 4.30am

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
I am not entitled to carers allowance as dad is on the old DLA and therefore not entitled to Attendance allowance.

You can get Carers Allowance for someone on DLA, not just Attendance Allowance. My OH is on DLA and I get Carers Allowance. I think you can claim it if hes getting middle rate for care.
Im another one who wont get state pension for another 5 years, but has had to give up work

Duggies-girl

Sep 6, 2017
You can get Carers Allowance for someone on DLA, not just Attendance Allowance. My OH is on DLA and I get Carers Allowance. I think you can claim it if hes getting middle rate for care.
Im another one who wont get state pension for another 5 years, but has had to give up work

Thanks for that @canary
My dad has been on the higher mobility rate for years but only the lower care component. He should be on the middle rate as he cannot care for himself and has probably had alzheimers for at least six years but was only diagnosed last year. My mum suspected and she died six years ago. He is like a lost child but a happy one and swears he can walk miles..

Dad is nearly 88 can only just walk with a stick and has alzhiemers so I think he deserves it but I worry about getting him reassessed in case he loses what he has and I definitely deserve carers allowance so I will look into it as soon as I finish work which will be very soon.

aquarius58

Apr 28, 2015
If you live a long way from your parents, it's pointless them ringing you. It's not as if you can pull on a coat and meet them in A&E in ten minutes! Go out and have a good time. Going forward, think carefully before giving up work. Without it you can end up feeling you are a skivvy, especially because, in my experience, you may end up getting no thanks whatsoever and merely complaints.

Thank you for the advice.

I agree with you. My thoughs were to reduce my hours and not give up work. I have a zero hours contract and am able to do some work at home as well.

What I was thinking was mixing work with claiming the carers allowance.

What do you think? Do you think that would work?

Beate

May 21, 2014
London
You are not allowed to earn more than £116 a week after tax if you want to qualify for CA. Can you guarantee that and prove it to DWP while on a zero hours contract?

aquarius58

Apr 28, 2015
You are not allowed to earn more than £116 a week after tax if you want to qualify for CA. Can you guarantee that and prove it to DWP while on a zero hours contract?

I've been looking at the application. They ask for the previous 3 months pay slips. I've not earned £116 per week in the last three months and with two elderly parents it looks unlikely that I will earn £116 per week anytime soon. I just want to keep doing some work.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ssr1126