I wasn't expecting that so soon!

karaokePete

Jul 23, 2017
N Ireland
As my wife was waking this morning she was rambling a bit more than usual and then called me into the bedroom and asked me if I was David! I'm not.

I always knew it would happen as she often has to ask me for the names of family members and friends, but didn't expect it so soon. Oh dear, oh well, another day begins.

Amethyst59

Jul 3, 2017
Kent
It doesn’t mean it will last. The first time it happened with us, I was so upset, and frightened...but that was months and months ago. He still sometimes gets me wrong...but now, sometimes it is funny. A member of care home staff in bed with him? No, it’s me...wifey! ....that would be some service!

Delphie

Dec 14, 2011
Difficult to deal with, I know, but could well be a temporary glitch.

The very first time my mum didn't know me was years ago and then she went back to knowing me again for a very long time. Rubbish sentence but I hope you know what I mean!

LadyA

Oct 19, 2009
Ireland
Aw, I'm sorry. It's always a shock when a loved one, especially a spouse, no longer knows who we are. I just felt that as long as William still trusted me, that was the main thing. He had gone through a phase of not trusting me at all, but thankfully, that had passed. Once or twice when he asked who I was, I just said "my name is .... I'm here to help you with anything you might need." and he said "Oh, I know. I don't know what I'd do without you!" :)

karaokePete

Jul 23, 2017
N Ireland
Thanks for that folks - your input is appreciated.
I know the score so won't let it bother me. We had another little unexpected incident that I mentioned a couple of weeks ago so I'm just reminded of what may be a difficult and lonely journey ahead. I'm used to all the regular issues but I just get thrown when something I wasn't expecting for a few years yet gets thrown into the mix at this stage.
Thanks again.

Amethyst59

Jul 3, 2017
Kent
I think that is really difficult. We read about what other people are experiencing, years further forward in dementia than our PWD ...and then when it happens we think...’yikes! We are there already! ‘
I used to teach child development...we talk about a ‘spiky profile’. A surge in one area, doesn’t mean all areas are at that level.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Micmomgram 5