I soon realised something was dreadfully wrong...

Boy Albie

Jun 23, 2013
Norfolk
There are still so many things I experienced with my partner I still haven’t mentioned, but I feel I must do so just in case this will help others begin to understand sooner rather than later – as it was in my case.

Because of my partner’s short-term memory loss (I noticed that from the very start, but failed to realise what it meant – or preferred not to!), I found Marquita (I’ve called her that rather than just ‘partner’!) depending on me more and more. Or to put it another way keeping her out of trouble due to her inability to make sound decisions. For example, a few months before we me in 2012, she’d had her Combi gas boiler serviced twice in that year, when it only required an annual service. The gas fitters, however, were happy to take her money – no questions asked! That, my friends, was what I was up against!
Now, some of the details which follow are of an ‘intimate’ nature, but, please, do not think for one momwent, I’m mentioning these because they may be misinterpreted as ‘salacious’, because I am not. When we come to them they are my experiences of certain matters which need to be mentioned because they are directly related – or it is my belief – to Marquita’s dementia, and may explain things to others.

But, first of all, I will mention the embarrassing times I’ve experienced accompanying my partner to the doctor’s.

I thin we had only been an ‘item’ for a week or two when Marquita insisted I went in with her to see her doctor. On this occasion it was to do with her ankle, which she was convinced was broken. It wasn’t, of course!

Her reason for wanting me there was because she said Dr W***s was always rude to her, and she wanted me there as a witness.

When we were called, the doctor looked at me in a strange way, which made me feel quite embarrassed. I quickly explained I was Marquita’s partner and I was there at her request. Of course, the doctor found nothing wrong with Marquita’s ankle!

When we left, Marquita said to me: “There! Dr W***s was quite civil to me, wasn’t she? It was because YOU were there!”

In October 2012, she went to see another doctor, as she said she didn’t trust her previous one. This, again was to do with her ankle, which Dr A******n examined. Nothing wrong again, apart from a slight swelling. Then, out of the blue, Marquita began insisting she had a ‘weak heart’! Dr A then began sifting through pages and pages of her notes, holding then up for her to see.

“I cannot see any mention of a weak heart,” he said, turning to us both. “What makes you think that?”

“I definitely have a weak heart,” she replied, adamantly, “ because I was told so be Mr R**s, a consultant, in 1977!”

The doctor shrugged his shoulders, not knowing what to say; then, without warning, Marquita asked: “Would it be all right for me to have intercourse, then?”

I coloured up (it was the first I’d heard of it!) and the doctor choked. “I can see no reason not to,” he replied, looking at me!

Now, it is inappropriate for me to continue with this story, but let’s just say it did occur – the very next day – but not at my insistence! I was more or less ‘ordered’ what to do, and given a ‘menu’ of things she did and didn’t do, which sounded extremely strange to me. I began to wonder, then, what I had got myself into, I have to admit.

Later, following my research, I was to discover that there is a clear link between sex – in all its forms – and dementia. For instance, certain inappropriate words or actions would be used at times (Marquita certainly did), whilst, normally, things would be totally different. It is so difficult to explain without resorting to unacceptable words or detailed descriptions, so I do hope you can read between the lines.

Getting back to visiting the doctor’s; Marquita had changed surgeries and doctors several times, as they only had to say the wrong thing and she would accuse them of negligence and report them to the BMA.

Eventually, I persuaded her to sign up with my doctor, which she did. At first she thought he was lovely, which pleased me as he is a very conscientious doctor. Then she – or, rather, we – went to see him with her ‘heart problem’ again. Dr F*****y could find nothing wrong, but suggested an ECG and blood tests – both of which were normal.

Suddenly, with me sitting there, she complained of ‘soreness’ in an intimate place! I never knew this was coming, I can tell you, and again. I coloured up!

He prescribed an ointment, to be ‘administered’ internally. All was well until she read to instructions. “I can’t use this!” she screamed at me, “it’s HRT stuff, and it says not to be used if you’ve had cancer – and I’ve had womb cancer!”

Whether she had, or not, I don’t know but then, it seemed to me, she’d had just about everything going!

Then she continued: “That doctor should have known better, he didn’t even bother to read my notes – I don’t want to see him again!”

Yet another doctor, it seemed, had bitten the dust and had become, yet another, subject of Marquita’s paranoia.

There were several more events that happened, with me present, but they are too intimate for me to mention here. This paranoia of the medical profession, I was to discover, had been going on for years – at least as early as 2001. Marquita had a growing mistrust of everyone and, as you may have discovered if you’ve read my earlier threads’ it was soon to be my turn.

We are apart now – but, given the opportunity, there’s nothing I wouldn’t do for her – although it seems, after nine weeks in a secure hospital, the authorities (against all my letters warning them of their actions!) are considering sending her home to her house. She has already been seen – possibly with a carer – close to her house, so I guess they are preparing to discharge her. Her neighbours have told me they are fearing her return as ‘anything could happen’ and ‘possibly will’.

At the end of the day, I will do all I can for her but, at the moment, as many of you may already have gathered, she has expressed she wishes no more to do with me. Perhaps I can do no more, but we shall see. My Methodist minister is trying to intervene on my behalf (as the authorities are not acknowledging my letters or phone calls), but this may prove impossible as well as Marquita is an atheist of very long-standing.

And so, my dilemma continues, I’m afraid. Does anyone have any other suggestions; apart from just call it a day?

Why did it take so long for me to realise something was wrong? Why didn't I walk away sooner, as now my friends have asked?

Love is a funny thing, I guess, and that's the reason I still feel I cannot walk away now. However, perhaps Marquita may have made that decision for me already? And that will be the hardest part of all - accepting she doesn't want me in her life to give her the love and support only I can give...!

Big Effort

Account Closed
Jul 8, 2012
Hello again Boy Albie,

I read your post, and even though my mother has 'pure dementia / Alzheimers" much is very similar to your heart-wrenching experiences. Mum believes what she wants to believe, and she knows what she knows. Confronting her with evidence, getting support of others to side with me, arguing, cajoling, telling white lies or pure lies.... nothing works. Dementia rules our roost. What dementia says, goes. End of story.

The only words of consolation that I can find is that as the disease advances, so do the changes. So what may be a sticky problem, may not be even remembered a few weeks down the line, or a few months, or a few years.

Like the rest of us, you will have to bide your time, be terribly terribly patient, and just see what eventuates.

If I were you, for the moment, I would keep clear. Not keep those paranoid memories fresh in her mind. Just let the dust settle and settle well, while you watch from the scenes, doing what, if anything you can. Once calm and peace return, she may well get upset with someone else and you become a 'good person' once again. No garantees either, but Mum loves me when she needs me, and hates me when she thinks I am causing all these problems that surround her.

I have so much sympathy for your situation. Love binds and it can also hurt very very much. So, in the meantime, keep posting, keep reading posts, and you will make very valuable connections here. People who understand you and who are going through something similar.

Wishing you a gentle evening and hoping things turn out for the best for both of you, BE

Boy Albie

Jun 23, 2013
Norfolk
Thank you so much, Big Effort

I have found your words so very moving. But, in my heart of hearts, I know you are right. Whilst I am in my partner's life - albeit 'hovering' around on the edge of her world of fear, pain and bewilderment - I am likely to be a visual reminder of her darker days and also someone to refocus her ill-feelings on.

Yes, yours is definitely the best plan - stay away and, if possible, out of sight. Where she is at the moment I do not know, but she has been seen recently in the company of a man - thought to be a male nurse, or carer. They were, no doubt, collecting things from her house, which is not far from mine. That is the danger, of course, I could 'bump' into her in the course of my travels locally. This I must try to avoid, of course. Then we shall see what happens.

Because of love, this will be terribly difficult for me, but I must try my best.

Thanks you so much for your sound advice, I shall certainly try I can assure you.

My very best regards to you - Boy Albie.

tp18

Oct 8, 2012
Goodness me, what a predicament. I feel so sorry for you - you are indeed such a caring soul, and to be in a position of not being able to help must tear you in two.

I have no constructive advice to give I am afraid, other than to agree that certainly in my case, once my mother has made up her mind, even if she is clearly making the wrong decision, nothing will change it.

Boy Albie

Jun 23, 2013
Norfolk
Many thanks TP18

I think you may be right. 'Marquita' is such a strong person, and I don't think she will change her mind either. She told me about her previous partners and it was so obvious she had turned against them - as they were 'evil men and stealing from her or trying to kill her' - and she could never have been convinced, in my opinion, they had been only trying to help her. Once she turns against someone, with her paranoid ideation, i think that's it. Perhaps, even I should accept that and just give up. One final note, she is not living with me any more. She mat still be in care, she may not, as I have no way of knowing or finding out. She was in the Julian, in Norwich, but no-one will tell me any more. Perhaps, one day, I shall find something out, but it's the long, long wait that I find so unsettling and frustrating.

Best regards: Boy Albie

Jessbow

Mar 1, 2013
Midlands
She sounds very unstable Albie, and you really don't deserve to hurt like you are. Hard when you love someone.

It does sound as though she is sectionable- does she have children or other family that would communicate with you?

Boy Albie

Jun 23, 2013
Norfolk
She had children, but...

Dear Jessbow

To answer your question; yes, she did have children, but only one survives now, a son, who would be aged about 44. The other two sons, died in 2003 and 2004 - one in Somerset, the other in Norwich, both as the result of hard drug abuse! This obviously affected 'Marquita' badly, although, from what I've gathered from a friend of hers in Somerset, she was already paranoia (possibly from P.I.) and couldn't get on with anyone - even before her sons' deaths!

So, it seems, from an early age (parental abuse as well) Marquita had had a very traumatic life, by all accounts. She has shared this all with me - and asked for it to be 'documented' as she knew, in time, due to her memory loss, she would forget it all.

I have to admit, there are things I didn't want to hear as they were so upsetting to me and began to make me think 'what kind of woman is this'?

Last year (we hadn't been together very long), we tried to find her one-remaining 'lost' son through the Salvation Army Family Research Unit. It was to prove unsuccessful (or maybe it wasn't, and there was something they didn't want to tell her!). But we didn't give up, as I said I'd 'have a go'!

Eventually, after a bit of research on 192.com I found a trace of her son living in Norwich. Sadly, when we followed it up we were just a few weeks too late as the house he'd been living in had been sold and he'd moved out.

I made contact with the estate agent who had a forwarding address for her son. He agreed to forward a letter to him if Marquita could write one, which she did.

It was extremely ironic that, on Friday 10 May 2013, the day of her sectioning, a letter arrived from the estate agent addressed to Marquita. As it could not wait I opened it, hoping for good news that could make all the difference to her.

Sadly, it was never to be, as the estate agent had been instructed by her one-remaining son NOT to forward her letter to him... as he never wanted to hear from his mother again!

Whether that will ever change, I just don't know, but, according to that family friend in Somerset, Marquita treated him 'very badly' as a child - and that was all he was prepared to say. I could speculate, as I know so much about her early years, but I could be completely wrong. Besides, how much of the truth did she ever tell me, I sometimes ask myself, as other people - to whom she told her life story - relates it to me in different ways.

She was, it seems, a very troubled lady when we met and had been so for many, many years. I could tell you more if you wish. Perhaps, I shall, because this could help other people experiencing similar problems with their loved ones.

Best wishes to you - Boy Albie.

Jaycee23

Jan 6, 2011
uk
This is so sad and I think deep in your heart you know what is the best action to take. You are a caring soul and sometimes all the care in the world will not reach that person. Sometimes we as human beings by nature will not give up when most would and for whatever reason we ourselves become martyrs to others misery. I would like you to look at YOUR needs in this situation as I cannot see this relationship bringing you harmony. Sometimes we have to say enough is enough and no matter how much love you give this lady she is not going to heal or become someone she is not. This is a long life illness she has had and very deeply damaged by circumstances and dementia. I have worked with those with mental illness for many years and have seen the torment they go through but with all the support, some just do not manage to heal and it is so despairing. Please start loving yourself and move on and find someone who can return the same kind of loving and affection you surely give out. I wish you a peaceful life