I might have Frontotemporal Dementia

WJG

Sep 13, 2020
Hello. I might have FTD, and I’d be grateful for all the help and advice I can get.

I am aged 67 and was hospitalised 18 months ago with depression - but since then I began to feel that there was something organic or neurological happening. I have developed a range of behaviours (anhedonia, apathy, loss of empathy and humour) that seem to fit with bvFTD.

Unfortunately the hospital I was in dismissed this notion, as I scored highly on cognitive tests and the Consultant Psychiatrist claimed this meant that any sort of dementia was therefore an impossibility.

I am now out of hospital and have moved from the Midlands to Scotland. Here the approach has been very different, and my new Consultant arranged a CT scan. This shows a ‘degree of atrophy’ to the frontal lobes. As a result of this I am now awaiting a SPECT scan.

But I’ve just aced yet another cognitive test, and I am fully aware of the personality changes that I have undergone.

It’s been suggested to me that I may have frontotemporal degeneration without dementia. Does anyone know if this is possible?

And can anyone recommend any further tests that might tease out cognitive areas that I believe have diminished? I struggle to plan, and seem to have little or no concept of the future - which I find extremely hard to explain to people.

And how the heck do I motivate myself when all I want to do is lie down all day?

Thank you

nae sporran

Oct 29, 2014
Bristol
Hullo and welcome to the forums @WillyGilder. Sorry, I have no experience of FTD myself, but there are others here who can help you make sense of what is happening and support you. Meanwhile the following links may help you

https://www.alzheimers.org.uk/demen...moving-fear-hope-after-dementia-diagnosis.and
Good luck with the process and please keep in touch.

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
Hi from me too and welcome to the forum. I’m another with no experience of FTD but as @nae sporran says many other members do and I’m sure they will be able to share their experience with you.

As you are now based in Scotland it might be useful for you to give the Alzheimer Scotland helpline a ring and see if you can talk things through with someone there. They are open 24/7 and you can find the details here -

Keep posting here as I know you will get lots of help and support.