I just want to Scream

rosiek

Feb 1, 2011
Norfolk
Just when I thought eveything was going to plan - Oh No - problems with the Bank- they sent me the wrong form!!! I cannot get a joint account with Mum, although she was aware of the form she had to sign, the Bank will not accept this as they need Mum to go into the branch. It seems strange that although they had my contact details, the did not tell me there was a problem. I did try to explain that Mum was a resident in a CH, she can only walk with a frame - but No they need her there with photographic ID - I did try to explain that my 82 year old Mum did not have a photographic driving licence ( she has never driven) and that she did not have a current passport. I did ask that they visit Mum in the CH with me, but No that was not possible. I replied that when the bills come in then I will pass them to the Bank for them to pay as they seem to be keen on holding on to Mum's money. I am dreading having to take another form in for Mum to sign as I am trying to pretend to her everything is OK and being sorted out and she is not to worry.

I have had no problem with SS or the DWP who have been very kind and understanding.

I don't know how much more I can take.

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
How well I remember the photo id conundrum, although not with the bank that held her current account. They did require mummy to go into the bank though (and that wasn't easy as her branch was in a listed building with no wheelchair access - two strapping young male tellers had to carry her in).

rosiek

Feb 1, 2011
Norfolk
It would be a half mile trek with her frame from the nearest parking space, apart from a multi storey car park, which would just scare her to bits.

Why do these people just not understand the problems with dementia.

I just feel so useless that I cannot get something sorted out

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
A taxi perhaps? Or another branch? Not that that would help with the photo id thing (I gave up with that in the end I think).

You're not useless - the deck is stacked against you.

Katrine

Jan 20, 2011
England
Citizen card

The need to trundle mum into the bank is such a nuisance, I speak from experience. Having eventually got accounts in our joint name and online banking I no longer need to bother my mum with finance, but it did take a long time and there were several setbacks. Fortunately I was able to get my mum to the bank to sign the forms, but this year she has been housebound so it would have been much more difficult to do this. I suppose we would have had to organise a taxi to take her right to the door of the bank.

With regard to photo ID, have you looked at the Citizen Cards? http://citizencard.com/ipr/ Designed for young people as proof of age, they are apparently accepted by police, Scottish Govt, banks etc. so might be worth asking her bank if they will accept this as photo ID? Cost is £15 for 28-day service and £30 for next day service (clock starts from when they receive documents with acceptable verifier info). Verifier could be a nurse, doctor of social worker and they have to see her birth certificate or passport. So if Citizen Card is OK with the bank, you should be able to get that organised without taking mum out of the CH.

The next hurdle is the visit to the bank. Before you get stuck with your current branch, I agree you could try a different branch of that bank, and also ring round the various national banks to see if any of them do offer a 'home banking' service, or a mobile banking service that might come to somewhere more convenient to you, e.g. local library, village hall?