I have sever vitamin b12 defiency, onset of dementia.

simplelife92

Mar 26, 2016
Hi everyone, I'm 23 years old. For about a year now I have suffered from symptoms of severe vitamin b12 deficiency. For the past year I have been unable to treat it because I didn't know what it was. But now I am so scared because I think I started to get dementia. I have had memory problems and cognitive problems for 3 years now, but these past three months it has really progressed into something i can't control. Most importantly, I feel myself getting confused about the simplest things, genuinely confused. I feel anxious but i can't calm myself down. It gets I know untreated vitamin deficiency can cause dementia.

I need help. I live with my parents and don't work. I tried to get my family to the doctor but they don't believe me. I am getting really hopeless, I am considering suicide because i don't want to lose my mind, but there is no way out. Can someone give me advice or guidance on what to do?

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
Hello and welcome to TP.

I'm so sorry to read of your situation. You really do need to make an appointment with your GP so you clarify what is wrong. In the meantime please take a few minutes to phone the Samaratins. I'm sure it would help you to talk this over with someone. This is their contact number if you are in the UK.

116 123

This is their website.

http://www.samaritans.org/how-we-can-help-you/contact-us

Last edited:

Saffie

Mar 26, 2011
Near Southampton
Welcome to TP.
The simplest thing for you to do is to go yourself to your GP and tell him of your symptoms and ask for a blood test to be carried out to show if you have a B12 deficiency.
If this shows you have, then B12 injections can be administered and your symptoms will improve.
My daughter suffers from this deficiency as her Crohn's disease prevents absorption of B12 plus iron and many more vitamins and minerals. However, in her case, it is demonstrated by extreme tiredness and she has not noticed any memory loss or confusion even though it took some years for her to be diagnosed.

Stress and panic as well as depression can also cause memory loss and confusion so the best person to advise you is your GP.

Beate

May 21, 2014
London
You're 23 years old. It's extremely unlikely that you have dementia so please don't read up on symptoms and try to self-diagnose. Go to your GP and have some blood tests done. If they show any deficiencies they can be corrected. If you suffer from depression, he can help with that too. You don't need your family to come with you so it doesn't really matter what they think right now. So for peace of mind, seek treatment. Being anxious will make any memory problems worse.

stanleypj

Dec 8, 2011
North West
I hope you'll follow the suggestions above simplelife. Just doing something about the problems can help to make you feel a bit better and you'll probably get a lot of reassurance.

Quilty

Aug 28, 2014
GLASGOW
Hello. Please dont panic. I had undiagnosed b12 for a long time. It was so bad i was almost in hospital. This GIVES all the dementis symptoms - brain fog, tiredness, inability to cope, a need to be alone, depression. Also walking problems, pins and needles aming other things. IT GETS BETTER AFTER TREATMENT. I promise you. So get your treatment. Ask to he referred to a haematologist as well and rest as much as possible until you feel better. Also join thr pernicious anemia society and take folic acid too. Please private message me if you need more info ir support. It will get better. Just focus on getting treatment.

Quilty

Aug 28, 2014
GLASGOW
Hi everyone, I'm 23 years old. For about a year now I have suffered from symptoms of severe vitamin b12 deficiency. For the past year I have been unable to treat it because I didn't know what it was. But now I am so scared because I think I started to get dementia. I have had memory problems and cognitive problems for 3 years now, but these past three months it has really progressed into something i can't control. Most importantly, I feel myself getting confused about the simplest things, genuinely confused. I feel anxious but i can't calm myself down. It gets I know untreated vitamin deficiency can cause dementia.

I need help. I live with my parents and don't work. I tried to get my family to the doctor but they don't believe me. I am getting really hopeless, I am considering suicide because i don't want to lose my mind, but there is no way out. Can someone give me advice or guidance on what to do?

Hello simplelife. How are you? We would all like to know you are ok. Xx quilty

Aisling

Dec 5, 2015
Ireland

Please make appointment with your doctor asap. Write down a list of your symptoms and worries before you see your doctor and take it with you. It is so easy to forget when you are sitting in front of Doctor.

How do you know, you have a vitamin deficiency? Has it been diagnosed? Is it being treated? If it is, you still need to go back to your doctor. Please do it as soon as possible.
Don't give up please.

It may be due to stress worry, depression or any number of things.

Contact Samaritans today please. They are excellent and you can phone them free of charge from landline or mobile.

Sending you support and hugs. You are not alone.

Aisling xxxxxx

Aisling

Dec 5, 2015
Ireland
Please make appointment with your doctor asap. Write down a list of your symptoms and worries before you see your doctor and take it with you. It is so easy to forget when you are sitting in front of Doctor.

How do you know, you have a vitamin deficiency? Has it been diagnosed? Is it being treated? If it is, you still need to go back to your doctor. Please do it as soon as possible.
Don't give up please.

It may be due to stress worry, depression or any number of things.

Contact Samaritans today please. They are excellent and you can phone them free of charge from landline or mobile.

Sending you support and hugs. You are not alone.

Aisling xxxxxx

How are you today. I hope you are reasonably ok. Please post and let us know how you are feeling.

Hugs and love

Aishling

Mariaforte

Mar 9, 2018
Cobalamin deficiency may cause cognitive deficits and even dementia. In Alzheimer's disease, the most frequent cause of dementia in elderly persons, low serum levels of vitamin B12, may be misleading. The aim of this work was to characterize the cognitive pattern of B12 deficiency and to compare it with that of Alzheimer's disease. Nineteen patients with low levels of vitamin B12 were neuropsychologically evaluated before treatment and a year later. Results were compared with those of 10 healthy control subjects.