I have just been diagnosed with Dementia.........

GreatGranny

Jul 18, 2013
Southborough Kent
On Tuesday I attended a Memory Clinic at my doctors. After the test, I was told that I definitely have dementia but not much else. Do I wait for my Doctor to contact me? Or do so myself - which I will do if I don't hear anything soon.

I may have posted this elsewhere as well - sorry bit confused. GreatGranny

jeany123

Mar 24, 2012
Durham
hello Greatgranny and welcome to talking point, i am sorry about your diagnosis, if were you i would contact the GP and see what information they can give you,
Keep on posting on here if you need support or advice there is always someone can help,

Best wishes Jeany xx

grove

Aug 24, 2010
North Yorkshire
Welcome Great Granny

Hello Great Granny , Am sorry you have been diagnosed with dementia :( however am glad you have found Talking Point & just want to give you big welcome too T Point . You will have lots of help & friendly :) advice on Talking Point & hope you find it as helpful as I have done

Sorry not able to answer your question but am sure some other person will be able to help :) you soon

Love Grove x x x

CeliaW

Jan 29, 2009
Hampshire
Hello GreatGranny and welcome to TP though I am sorry you have had to find us. As Jeany and Gove have said, please keep asking away and voicing any concerns as there is a wealth of information and support available from all who use the site.

It may be helpful for you to contact your local branch of AS - you can find them by going to this link http://www.alzheimers.org.uk/site/scripts/documents.php?categoryID=200121

Take care, this must be a very tough time for you but there is help and support available online and in the "real" world.

Regards

Celia

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
Welcome from me too. I'm sorry to hear about your diagnosis. I do hope you can get an appointment with your GP so that you can get some advice about the way forward.

As others have said, keep posting on TP. You'll get lots of help, support and advice - as well as friendship. Take care. x

Wigan

May 5, 2013
Hello, they shouldn't have just sprung the diagnosis on you with no explanation and then left you to sort out your own appointments.

When my mum was first seen by someone from the memory clinic, we too were left in limbo with no idea of what to do next. She was seen at home a few times and eventually someone listened to us and ordered a CT scan then an appointment at the clinic followed. It was very frustrating for us as we hadn't a clue of the process. 7 months down the line from the first visit, we still haven't had a firm diagnosis but at least the doctor is trying different medications for mum to help with some of her symptoms.

I would definitely make an appointment with your GP and ask what the plan is going forward. Plus, you need to know what type of dementia is suspected and to be made aware of any treatment options. Good luck.

BeckyJan

Nov 28, 2005
Derbyshire
Hello and welcome to Talking Point.
No wonder you feel confused as anyone would if given a diagnosis and then left with no explanation of what to do next.
As well as seeing your GP, I would ring the local branch of the Alzheimer’s Society which if you press this link you will find the details. Just fill in your postcode on the right hand side. They should be able to guide you on what local support is available. Some have Dementia Support Workers which would be ideal for you. Let us know if you have any problems with getting in touch with them.
Do you have a supportive family? I do hope so.
Keep in touch and let us know how you get along.
Best wishes

creativesarah

Apr 22, 2010
Upton Northamptonshire
Hi Great granny

loads of support coming your way a diagnosis of dementia is such a blow.

I do loads of stuff, and keep my brain as active as I can

This is the place where you will find support, compassion and wisdom from those who know

Sarah