I could cry and cry and cry ...

Girl Afraid

Aug 16, 2012
Staffordshire
... but i won't stop if i do start crying...
I visited my dad this morning in his nursing home,he has been bed ridden fr the last 6 weeks,the first 4 weeks he was hospitalized and came close a few times to the end of his journey but my dad is a fighter and pulled thru enough to return to familiar surroundings of his nursing home. He was looking very frail,old and disorientated ... he spoke only a few words ... ''get my effing shoes take me home '' i always find this so hard to deal with ,the guilt i feel inside for not been able to care for dad at home is immense.

So that had already made me cry a few tears as i was leaving him there then as i was going out the front door there's a older chap holding his head in hands and clearly upset, me been me i couldn't walk past and ignore him (like a few others had) i asked him if he was ok ( obv he wasn't but i wanted to reach out to him) he looked at me with such deep saddness in his eyes and said ''no not really,they have just taken my precious into hospital'' his wife had taken a turn for the worse and needed to go in asap. Im not good at talking to people and struggled to find something 'right' to say instead i touched his arm and said i understood why he was so upset. He oipened right up to me and said all the things i'd been thinking (and feeling so horrid about) ... '' i lost her 18 months ago when this evil disease took over her mind ... now im going to lose her all over again ''... '' why does she has to suffer like this, i wouldn't let my dog suffer as she is '' ... '' i wish she could be at peace and die with dignity '' ...i completly empathised with him and after half a hour of us talking in the car park we was both in floods in tears but i felt connected to him,everything he was saying i'd thought about the same with my dad. I felt so evil and bad for thinking these things,thought i really must be a bad daughter and deserve all kinds of punishment for having the thoughts but i don't know, it home hard to me that i wasn't alone in thinking these things and how VERY cruel this disease is not only to the person suffering but to the people in 'real life' that are left to deal with them. I love my dad with all my heart and soul and *Doug loves his wife so much that we would do anything to make this pain stop for them.

Im not sure the point of this post i just felt i needed to return here ( it's been a while sorry) and vent that i HATE HATE HATE dementia and what it's doing to so many peoples lives, reading thru the posts here have again reminded me im not alone feeling these things and i wanted to say i wish i could hug each and everyone of you for real. Life is so unfair but im glad of places like TP ...

Love peace and respect to you all.
Sarah
xxx

Rageddy Anne

Feb 21, 2013
Cotswolds
Isn't it strange how just when you're at rock bottom, something rather wonderful happens that brings some comfort? You were meant to meet, surely?

How many times do we want to shake a fist and shout WHY?WHY?WHY?

chris53

Nov 9, 2009
London
Dear Sarah, please don't let the "guilt monster" take away the love you and your dad have of each other, you have made a brave and wise choice for dad to go back into his nursing home, you know he is happy and cared for all day every day, just because he is not "at home" does not mean that you care any less, he I am sure would have been so proud of you spending some of your time to a total stranger, this illness changes the person we care for but we can (try) to get to know this "different" person, we at least have good things to remember, whereas their thoughts are fading, however your dad knows you love him even if he cannot say it:eek:
Sending you a massive hug Sarah, be kind to yourself as you are being kind to others.
Please keep posting, love and peace to you too x
Chris

CollegeGirl

Jan 19, 2011
North East England
The love you have for your dad and the love "Doug" has for his precious wife, and the suffering you are all going through has brought tears to my eyes. I'm so very, very sorry.

I wish there was something I could do. This illness is so cruel, unfair and vile.

You have my sincere sympathy and virtual hugs.

xx

Girl Afraid

Aug 16, 2012
Staffordshire
Thank you all so much,means alot to me right now i feel so awful and low about having these thoughts, i know they are just things going thru my head and they can't hurt anyone but i shouldn't be thinking them it makes me feelsick to my stomach.
I can't get *Doug and his wife out my head, i met his wife a couple of times when dad was in the same unit as her,such a sweet lady with beautiful blue eyes,keep thinking about Doug been on his own tonight (they have no family he told me) i keep thinking of dad,scared what tomorrow will bring for him ...i just want to make it all stop ...i want my dad back :( :( :(
Thank you for hugs (*(*(*back*)*)*) xxx

lin1

Jan 14, 2010
East Kent
Sarah
The thoughts and feelings you have are normal, yes I had them too!
We have them because we care !!!

Am sending you this hug, because I know everything seems worse at night those thoughts keep going round and round dont they

hugs-desi-glitters-32.gif

Girl Afraid

Aug 16, 2012
Staffordshire
Lin ... thank you !!! yes everything so much worse at night time i feel more paniced thinking of dad on his own, i know the nurses are lovely and caring but there's so many other people in the home and they have so much to do i worry dad is alone and scared ... im sorry feel like im been selfish ranting on like this ...i still have my dad, it could be alot worse. Thank you so much for the hugs,sending lots back.
Sarah
xxx

grobertson62

Mar 7, 2011
Sheffield
Dear Sarah
I so much understand the guilt anger and helplessness you feel.
There is a saying here been there done that got the tshirt.
The guilt monster is there whispering in your ear.
Ignore it you areNOT a bad daughter. You are doing whats best for your dad
Dont let the guilt and anger overwhelm you.
If you need to rant here is a safe place we all understand
Wishing you peace and love
Gill

Jaycee23

Jan 6, 2011
uk
I am glad that your time of need and concern for others led to you giving Doug comfort and him you. That is humanity at its best. I so empathize with what you are going through and many times I think what if when I visit my mum as this cruel illness has robbed her of life and can easily rob us if we let the guilt get in. Vent away as many of us understand and we are listening.

BibleMaggie

Oct 5, 2013
bibleMaggie

sarah
cry cry its is so good for you as you will get rid of all the tension which is not good for us
I think I have filled bucketrs with my tears for my dear mum It just breaks your heart to see the suffering You were so kind to help the man You would have made his day
take care