I care for father-in-law in my home

Lmpherrick

Jul 30, 2022
Hi, my name is Lisa. I care for my father-in-law who has late stage, possibly moving into end stage Alzhiemers in our home. I see the emotional impact it has on my husband. I do my best to be supportive and do most aspects of care. It seems he may have suddenly had a big decline. His care needs have become more work. Our marriage is strong, but he is fragile. We do have help, but I see my focus being mostly on Dad and much less on us. How do I make my husband feel important also. I hear his words but think he is in denial about Dad's sudden change

Louise7

Volunteer Host
Mar 25, 2016
Welcome Lisa @Lmpherrick it sounds as though your husband may be struggling with his feelings and it's understandable that the focus has been on your father-in-law and his increased care needs. Although you have help coming in perhaps an increase in the help you receive would be helpful and enable your and your husband to get some time to yourself, maybe even a short break away. Is that something that might help do you think? Hopefully others who have personal experience of your situation will post with some other suggestions to help.

Admiral nurses can be a good source of support:

I notice that you've posted in the forum for caring for someone with dementia and cancer, and Macmillan also have various resources available for carers:

https://www.macmillan.org.uk/cancer...eone/emotional-support-for-family-and-friends