I believe my mum has Alzheimers but not diagnosed yet.

Loopy Linda

Aug 17, 2014
My mum is 77 years old and is showing signs of alzheimers but hasnt been diagnosed as yet. She is waiting on results of a brain scan so I am hoping we will have some answers soon. She is suffering terrible headaches, is very depressed, irritable and has aged dramatically over the last year. She gets very confused, repeats herself and forgets conversations and arrangements. As far as she is concerned she is done and doesnt believe she has long to go. It is so sad to see my mum going through this as she has always been my rock and the one who I have leant on and turned too all my life and I just dont know what to do or where to turn. She has also fell a couple of times and fortunately did not brake anything as she also suffers from ostioarthristis and braking a bone could leave her unable to get around which would make things worse for her. My dad would be with her 24/7 and I have tried to explain what I believe is wrong as all he can see is my mum being snappy and down and he then gets angry with her. I do not have brothers or sisters to help out but have a great husband who's family are very supportive. I love my mum very much but just dread what is coming next. I did speak to her doctor who sent her to the memory clinic and physiotherapist but mum got upset and said she felt like they thought she was stupid and that the physio hurt her so she wouldn't go back.

RobinH

Apr 9, 2012
London
Diagnosis

Hi Linda

I hope you get an answer soon. Although it's not treatable as such, her GP should be able to help with the depression, and also the headaches - they aren't often mentioned here as a symptom, and may have a different cause that needs investigating.

As for your dad, I think it's common for a spouse to take a long time to understand the condition. Some never get there, but you will all be better off if he does understand. There may be help from your local Alzheimer's group, or some other local charity. Get him to read the basics about it, but better, get him to witness how a good carer is with an Alzheimers sufferer. Hopefully he will be able to learn.

Good Luck

Robin

Loopy Linda

Aug 17, 2014
Thanks.

Thanks Robin for your reply. I just want to get the results of mums brain scan and we can go from there. If you don't believe headaches are a symptom maybe it is something more sinister. I don't know. I do know that she believes it is something bad. I just wish she would accept help instead of fighting against everyone when they are trying to help her. I can't help but feel frustrated and sometimes angry with her but I feel really selfish as I need my mum and feel like I am losing her :(
Hi Linda

I hope you get an answer soon. Although it's not treatable as such, her GP should be able to help with the depression, and also the headaches - they aren't often mentioned here as a symptom, and may have a different cause that needs investigating.

As for your dad, I think it's common for a spouse to take a long time to understand the condition. Some never get there, but you will all be better off if he does understand. There may be help from your local Alzheimer's group, or some other local charity. Get him to read the basics about it, but better, get him to witness how a good carer is with an Alzheimers sufferer. Hopefully he will be able to learn.

Good Luck

Robin