I am sure my wife has dementia but it has never been diagnosed She always refuses medical help for any reason without a battle from the family.

nae sporran

Oct 29, 2014
Bristol
Hullo and welcome to the forum @cookieboy. That is a hard situation for you. Would your wife also refuse care support too? That may become necessary and would be available to you via a care needs assessment from Social Services even without a diagnosis. Anyway, you obviously got distracted, but we are here for you when you are free and able to post more.

Shedrech

Dec 15, 2012
UK
hello @cookieboy
a warm welcome to DTP

looks as though you were disturbed while posting

it's not easy if someone doesn't want to engage with medics .... might you write to your GP giving details of all your concerns for your wife, and also the effect on you and your health ... the GP will then have the information and may invite your wife for a check up ... or even make an appointment for yourself so you get to chat with the GP

quickstepqueen

Mar 11, 2018
This is how I got my Great Aunt to be assessed. I was able to book an appt with her GP. (Thankfully, and very randomly, before we'd got power of attorney sorted she asked me to set it up so I had authorisation with her surgery, but they might be able to help if not.)
Anyway, I explained to the GP all of my concerns and upon looking at his computer could she was due a medication review. So we used that pretext to get her to the doctors. I took her for the appt and whilst there he then did the mini assessment. My Auntie probably wouldn't have listened to me, but her generation were brought up to hold doctors in high esteem and will listen to advice. For us that's worked. The problem is that everyone is different, and I think it's trial and error I'm afraid.