I am not staying at this day centre it’s full of old people

KJ49

Jul 1, 2017
You have to laugh or you would cry..mum would watch all these things on tv and comment,
Saying she was glad she wasn't like that..or, just shoot me if I go dolally etc
The saddness of dementia is..you haven't a clue you have it, my mum is aware she has a bad memory and jokes about it..ie"I have the memory of a gold fish" etc
She sat with us in the care home yesterday..unfortunately,they had a sign right there saying
Name of carehome..care hone for the elderly
My mum kept reading it..we couldnt get her to move..nice settee .
She kept saying, not for me, glad I am not there..i am not ready for that yet,thankfully. Etc etc
Seeing she had had a meltdown just before we were on tenterhooks
So was you viewing Care Home ??
We did exactly the same and my dad kept saying it’s like a hospital here I feel sad for all the old people that can’t look after themselves. I try to laugh every day. He just phoned to say the other 2 there (at his house) he lives alone have broken his sofa. He sounded stressed. Got there obviously no other 2 people and no broken sofa !!!
I asked him where the sofa was broken he said I don’t know what you are talking about I didn’t say it was broken !!!
Time to count to 10 again

jen54

May 20, 2014
So was you viewing Care Home ??
We did exactly the same and my dad kept saying it’s like a hospital here I feel sad for all the old people that can’t look after themselves. I try to laugh every day. He just phoned to say the other 2 there (at his house) he lives alone have broken his sofa. He sounded stressed. Got there obviously no other 2 people and no broken sofa !!!
I asked him where the sofa was broken he said I don’t know what you are talking about I didn’t say it was broken !!!
Time to count to 10 again

Mum has been the carehome for a month now, she cannot cope at home now her mobility is so bad, we have coped for four years,but trying to cope with pwd who has poor mobility..but doesn't recall ..was impossible,after several falls she ended up in a&e.

She asks the other residents if they are ok, and thinks she is fine.
When she was in her own house she always blamed"the kids" for any thing broken or mislaid ,she was always moaning they had run off with her shoe,or stolen items

Amy in the US

Feb 28, 2015
USA
In my mother's case, the anosognosia has a silver lining, because she would be upset if she knew she had dementia. She is spared that distress, at least.

I'm not as fond of it when it would be helpful that she understands there is something wrong, mind you, like when she broke her kneecap last year!

Swoozy

Nov 6, 2016
My mom attends day centres and also hated it at first. Now she’s running the place lol. The centre staff were amazing and encouraged her to believe that she works along side them to help with the old people (she’s 81). Day centre has been amazing for her and me. Have a word with the staff and see what they suggest but don’t give in to him. Good luck xxx

Teddybear12

Aug 26, 2016
London
Just arranged and sent mum to a day centre this morning after dealing with her care for 2 years now .I had a tear in my eye but we all need some space .The old saying cruel to be kind comes to mind .I'm sure she will join in the fun .Stick with it KJ.