'I always tell people they can call as many times as they like if it helps them get through Christmas.' - Working on the Dementia Support Line

TamsinT

Staff Member
Staff member
Sep 26, 2022
'I always tell people they can call as many times as they like if it helps them get through Christmas. " - Working on the Dementia Support Line

A blonde woman sitting at a desk and facing a computer monitor. Behind her there is a christmas tree decorated in gold and blue.

The Dementia Support Line is available for anyone affected by dementia who needs advice or support.
Grace Ryan works as a telephone dementia advisor, offering support and advice to those who phone the support line.
“I have some people who regularly ring up, and it’s so lovely to see the impact my support and advice can have. We get lovely feedback telling us how the information we’ve provided has made a difference.”

She also has a personal connection to dementia and writes about her experiences with her Nanna.

Read about what it's like to be on the other end of the phone over Christmas: https://www.alzheimers.org.uk/blog/graces-story-christmas-most-important-time-dementia-support-line

“Being a Dementia Adviser and having a personal connection can sometimes be difficult but I’m lucky to have a supportive team around me, and the calls where I’ve really made a difference help keep me going.”
Grace, her Mum Lisa, and her Nanna Daphne in 2020. Daphne is a woman with white hair sitting in a wheelchair. Grace and Lisa stand behind her.

If you'd like to speak to someone, please consider giving our Dementia Support Line a call. We have a team of dementia advisers who are here to listen, to answer questions and point the way toward local support services. The line is open 9am - 8pm Monday to Wednesday, 9am - 5pm on Thursday and Friday, 10am - 4pm on Saturday and Sunday. The number is 0333 150 3456 (this is a national rate number and should be part of an inclusive national rate minutes allowance on landline or mobile contracts). You can also email them at dementia.connect@alzheimers.org.uk if you prefer.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
The title of this Thread says it all @TamsinT

People who have had experience of dementia know how lonely it can be for them and for their carers, especially during holidays times when the rest of the world is getting together and enjoying family time.

SeaSwallow

Volunteer Moderator
Oct 28, 2019
Thank you for sharing @TamsinT. I hope that our members will find it useful. Christmas can be a difficult time of year for carers who can feel isolated at the best of times.

Last edited:

Neveradullday!

Oct 12, 2022
England
Thanks for this, @TamsinT
Christmas can actually be a tough time for a lot of people, dementia or not. Normal society shuts down, services are difficult to access, if not impossible. In some ways it's the least Christian time of the year.