I’m on my own and my dad is in advanced stages

Violet Jane

Aug 23, 2021
Welcome to the forum, @Karen Turtle.

I'm sorry that you're feeling lonely. Many carers experience loneliness as friends and family drift away and the needs of the person with dementia become all-consuming.

Do you have any carers or befrienders coming in? As well as helping you they would provide you with some company and enable you to go out. I don't know whether you've heard of them but Admiral Nurses are there to support the carers of people with dementia.

Please keep posting for support. Most people will be asleep now but in the morning you will get more replies to your post.

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
Welcome from me too @Karen Turtle.

I’m sorry to hear about your dad’s dementia and that you’re feeling lonely. It’s good that you’ve found this forum. You will always find someone here to listen to you and offer support. Hopefully that will help you feel a little less lonely.

It might be an idea for you to start a thread in the I Care For A Person With Dementia area of the forum. You could perhaps tell us a little bit more about your situation so that people can offer support.

Whatever you decide, keep posting.

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
I think loneliness is a common problem for carers - especially carers for people with dementia as they lose the normal social interaction and most people around have no idea what caring for someone with dementia entails.

Get help @Karen Turtle - and use whatever method necessary to get your person with dementia to accept it. Quite often subterfuge and being "economical with the truth" is necessary, otherwise you will reach carer breakdown (if you havent already)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
janet1980