I’m new here

Butterfly73

May 8, 2023
Husband diagnosed 5 years ago, won’t come out of his room, keeps arguing with me, been like this for best part of a year now, he’s told me he’s not taking medication anymore, he’s not eating, and decided he’s not speaking to me no more. What do I do now, just keep taking meals in and medication or do as he has asked and stop.

Bunpoots

Volunteer Host
Apr 1, 2016
Nottinghamshire
Welcome to the forum @Butterfly73 i hope you’ll find this a friendly and supportive place.

I looked after my dad, not a spouse, so could go home to get some respite. It sounds very stressful for you. I found this helped when dad was being uncooperative

It’s not always easy to follow but I found it helpful at times.

If your husband’s behaviour has got worse recently it might be worth taking him to the GP in case he has an infection. This can cause havoc with a PWD.

Butterfly73

May 8, 2023
Thank you @Bunpoots ive rang emergency social services, they should ring me today, I’m going to ask about him going for respite, I went in the room last night to give meds and didn’t even acknowledge I was there, it’s so upsetting, I can sort of deal with the outbursts, but this just makes me upset, all his medication has piled up, I can’t force feed him it and he’s not even eating any food. I’ve tried the GP he won’t even talk on the phone to them.

Violet Jane

Aug 23, 2021
I would email or write to the GP and tell him/her that your husband is refusing to eat or take his medication and won't come out of his room. You need help; you can't manage this alone.

Louise7

Volunteer Host
Mar 25, 2016
Hello @Butterfly73 welcome from me too but sorry to hear about your difficult situation. It's good that the emergency social services team are now involved but definitely a good idea to also contact your husband's GP as suggested above so that they are aware of what is happening. I hope that you get some help today but I'd also recommend giving the Dementia support line a call as they will be able to provide practical advice and support to help you and your husband. They are open from 9am to 8pm today:

Last edited:

Butterfly73

May 8, 2023
Thank you @Violet Jane and @Louise7, I didn’t think of GP, I will contact them in the morning definitely, social services came out and where brilliant, they’ve got him to start meds and he managed a small amount of food, I’m making sure he’s drinking. I will call Dementia support line, will have to be tomorrow now. We have another appointment on 17th for review, this will give time for meds to get into system and hopefully we should notice a bit of a difference, fingers crossed.
Thank you so much for the help and advice, I really do appreciate it.