I’d never experienced anyone with a mental illness before…

Boy Albie

Jun 23, 2013
Norfolk
I think, when I first met my lady friend I knew there was something wrong, as I’ve explained in my previous thread, but, basically, I thought I could help her with her short-term memory loss, which I continued to do through our loving relationship.

Over the months that followed, we had such lovely, blissful times together, and both looked forward to a really great future as we began making plans for our life together. We were inseparable, and just couldn’t bear to be parted. When I bought her engagement ring she was very specific about the colour of the sapphire – it had to be blue/grey to match my eyes, she said, so if we were ever apart she would always think of me. Sadly, when we split up – as the result of her being sectioned – she left it here with me.

As time went on I had to be her short-term memory as she just couldn’t remember anything that had happened recently. This was to become an awful burden for me – especially (if I may say so) when we had made love, as a few minutes later – and the next day – she couldn’t remember a thing. I began to feel so inadequate.

We would go out on picnics; she would forget those also. If we went back to the same place she would say I’d never taken her there before. She could remember nothing of our first meeting, 9 months earlier, but loved to be told how we met. On the day of her sectioning, she said to me –despite us being engaged – it was too soon for us to be in a relationship, as we’d only just met!

Just after she’d moved in with me – on 2 October 2012 – she began to bring her belongings to my home because, she said, they weren’t safe in her house as ‘the next-door neighbour was a tea-leaf’! Then there was her heavily-fortified garden shed. She then decided to get everything indoors ‘for safety’. Then she said she’d put her house on the market. I told her she couldn’t sell it like that as everywhere was cluttered up with dozens of boxes – lounge, kitchen, hall and spare bedroom, everywhere – you just couldn’t move. She said, angrily, they couldn’t go back in the shed, and we brought the lot round to mine!

We then put most of them in my summerhouse and then strange things started to happen. One day, both keys to the summerhouse disappeared. After much searching I found them hidden away in one of her boxes upstairs. (Later I concluded she hid them to prevent me ‘stealing’ from her, as she was becoming paranoid about me by then!)

Then both keys to her bicycle – kept in my workshop – disappeared as well. (Again I came to a similar conclusion as earlier!)

She removed keys to my front door from my key ring, and a duplicate from hers – neither were ever found again. Once again, she had boxes stored in my house.

I had to resort to photographing all the keys – to her house as well as mine – just so we would know what we were looking for. Looking back at the photos, keys just kept vanishing, sometimes re-appearing on different key rings. I felt I was going mad – but still didn’t know what was happening.

Shortly after she’d been sectioned I had an email from her previous Outreach worker – yes, she’d obviously been there before! – who told me my partner had something called Paranoid Ideation, with which she’d been diagnosed back in 1989! I looked it up on the Internet and discovered all about it – and the symptoms, which she displayed – and I quote:
“..a long-standing pattern of pervasive distrust and suspiciousness of others… their motives are seen to be suspect or malevolent… others will exploit, harm or deceive them, even if no evidence exists.

“…the condition pervades every personal relationship they have… they have an excessive need to be self-sufficient and have a strong sense of autonomy… they need to have control over those around them… and have great difficulty with any criticism of themselves.”
There’s much more, of course, but all those symptoms, I’m sad to say, applied to my partner!
Earlier – before I’d found out about paranoid ideation – I challenged the hospital doctor to give me some information, at least. But, because of the Data Protection Act he could reveal nothing, he said. But when I told him what I thought my partner had he said he had to agree with me but there was a complication. I can now see that was paranoid ideation. I do hope these additional notes may help others as well. If anyone wishes me to explain further I would be pleased to do so.

meme

Aug 29, 2011
London
I am not sure this is about informing others but more your need to re live this very troubled relationship ...how hard are you finding facing the future and putting this in the past?

Last edited:

Lisa74

May 27, 2011
Hi BobAlbie,

It sounds like you've had a very difficult time.

Is your fiancee/wife in hospital now? does she have alzheimer's/dementia, isolated paranoid ideation or paranoid schizophrenia?

I hope you're getting help from her CMHT and that she is being helped too!

Boy Albie

Jun 23, 2013
Norfolk
Yes, Meme, I think you're right, the only time I get any peace from this is when I'm asleep. It's on my mind, more or less, all my waking hours. It was made worse by her signing the Consent of Disclosure Form against me knowing anything. I began to feel so isolated - and still do. I want to do things to help her - but cannot. My doctor has told me there's nothing I can ever do now and to walk away but, surely, when one is deeply in love (as we both were before this terrible thing happened) is it just so difficult to do.

One of the main reasons I'm still re-living this is because when she moved in with me last October she re-directed all her mail to my address - and it still keeps coming. Also, her house is so close to mine and I go past it nearly every day as it's on my route into town. There's just no getting away from it at the moment, I'm afraid.

Thanks for your kind comments.

Last edited:

Boy Albie

Jun 23, 2013
Norfolk
Yes, Lisa74, it's been horrific! Definitely the worst time of my entire life. As far as I know (but no-one is telling me anything, apart from 'she is doing very well'!) she is still receiving care in hospital and I guess the next step will be to send her back to her house (not mine).

It seems, from what I've discovered from my doctor and family friends, she has all three illnesses, which makes it extremely complicated to treat. Her mother was a schizophrenic, passed it down to my partner, who in turn passed it down to a son (now deceased) and I was told by her previous Outreach Worker that she had Paranoid Ideation and, as far as it has affected her, it has turned her against me, not wanting to know me, and now, it seems, I am her worst enemy, cannot be trusted and she's told people I've been stealing from her.

She is getting help from the CMHT but, at the present time, I am receiving no help, support or counselling whatsoever, in spite of her hospital doctor telling me I was in need of psychological counselling, support and care for myself (which he promised to arrange).

Eventually, I was assessed by telephone and told I needed bereavement care. What nonsense! I told my doctor this and he told me he had been trying for over a month to get me some appropriate counselling, and bereavement counselling certainly wasn't what I needed.

She had had a very traumatic life, before we met, if I can believe all she told me - although other people who knew her have told me of different stories she had told them. Even as early as 2004 - when she first arrived in my town - she was terribly mixed up, it seems.

Thanks for all your help - it's greatly appreciated.

Last edited:

Boy Albie

Jun 23, 2013
Norfolk
Did I do the right thing?

Yesterday, Wednesday 10 July, I'm not sure I did the right thing. I guess I just gave way to my feelings and frustrations, but let me try to explain.
Before my partner was sectioned - and in apparently good health, although the short-term memory loss and inability to cope with things had already manifested itself - she bought a mobile phone just for me to call her on. Then I noticed she had several phones, each of which she would dedicate to a person or business. She never had more than one number stored on each phone.

Since she's been in hospital - and not able or wishing for me to make contact - I've tried ringing that number many times to no avail, as it was either left in her house or switched off. Until yesterday morning...

For the first time in nine weeks her phone rang and, eventually, she answered it. She would have known it was me because it would have shown my name, number and photo.

"Hiya," she answered in her usual way, with a hint of being pleased to hear from me in her voice. "How are you feeling now, sweetheart?" I asked.

"I'm still in hospital," she replied, "and they're said I've a weak heart.." (I'd heard that before, of course, but our local doctor had never been able to find anything in her notes, and her ECG was normal.

She did blame me, not in a nasty way, for putting her in hospital - although I tried to explain the reason and said I was sorry it had to happen, which she seemed to accept. At no time did she seem irrational, and seemed perfectly at ease with me. I asked if she would lift the Consent of Disclosure notice against me, and she said she would talk to her carers about it, but had been told she didn't want any more trauma in her life.

She then started asking for some keys which she said I have - but I do not. I simply said if her carers or social workers would get in contact I would see what I could do.

With that she said they were serving breakfast and she would have to go.

It was good to hear her voice again after all those weeks of hearing nothing, and I will still do anything for her, when she leaves hospital, so she may have as normal a life as possible. She will never be able to cope on her own - I have already told the social services that by letter - and, as she's already attempted suicide there times in the past, she will do so again. I have no doubt of that. I asked for my letter to 'go on record' in case 'anything did happen'.

I do hope I've not done anything wrong.

My very best wishes to all of you who are experiencing similar things, and know how I'm feeling and what I'm going through at this time in my life. Incidentally, my partner (who may now be my ex - if that's her wishes) is 63 and I'm 72.

Big Effort

Account Closed
Jul 8, 2012
Dear Boy Albie,

I found your post really moving. It is a tribute to love, and how dementia comes to play the third partner in the duo. It was so beautifully written, such an insight into how our lives are affected, and that whatever we do (even photographing keys), we ultimately fail, as dementia wipes the slate clean, and once the slate is clean, even evidence is false. Most cruel and for us, those who love the dementia partner or parent, the ongoing pain and loss is bottomless.

Regarding the other psychotic episode, well, in my view, any strong character traits the person had before dementia, they become very pronounced with dementia. Those who suffer anxiety by nature, are very anxious when dementia sets in and things go so inexplicably haywire. Those who have suspicious natures, will become set on ensuring others do them no harm. Of course I am generalising, as not everyone is true to this pattern. For example there are those gentle souls who become aggressive and hit out.

Your sharing of your relationship is so open and loving. What a tragedy for both of you. Here you are at the age of 72, ready for a whole segment of life, living it, loving it, and you have this to deal with.

And of course, due to the legislation in place to protect vulnerable people (quite correct and necessary), it also ensures that some people who need help, company, support and where the partner wants to take more responsibility, well, they can't. For legal reasons. Not ideal. This is a lose-lose situation. So regretable, so sad, so unnecessary.

Really my heart goes out to you. However, you should bear in mind that dementia is seldom static, and there are phases. Right now your partner may have the energy and thought processes to fight you and shut you out. In a week, a month, a year, this may all be very different.

This forum is a great place to exchange on the huge emotional impact of dementia. Like you, I am saddened to a point of extreme. I had thought I would get used to it, just habituate. I have found this not to be the case for me. The worse Mum gets, the sadder I feel. I can't bear to look at Mum, and instead find that sneaky, thieving Dementia looking back at me. I have looked after Mum with love and care for 4 years. Now Dementia watches me intently, from a distance, calculating, and it doesn't like me one bit. The feeling is mutual thought, as I don't like Dementia. I did love Mum, but is she there any more? I feel I will have to befriend this thief and scoundrel who has made away with Mum, as that is pretty well all that is left of her.

Do keep posting. I found it such an honest exhange of your heartbreak.
I hope today is a little bit bearable, as you struggle with the loss of a relationship as it was, as it is now, and the unpredictable future.

For your partner all that exists is the present. So all you can do is be in her present, taking her as she is right now.

With sincere sympathy and understanding at the magnitude of the tragedy you face. You are a good and courageous person. Glad to know you a little better. Hugs from France, BE

meme

Aug 29, 2011
London
I somehow Imagined you much younger...never assume!!! I do think your age puts a different spin on this slightly...I think a younger man would need to distance himself from this relationship to give his future and new relationships a chance.....however I am sure you are well aware of the dark web you have entered and it is your choice to remain. So I think you must protect yourself as much as you are able and one way is exactly as you are doing here, seeking support and telling your story...I am not sure about asking for disclosure to be lifted as this puts you in the middle again...

Boy Albie

Jun 23, 2013
Norfolk
To all my 'friends' on this wonderful website, my heartfelt thanks for your kindness

Dear Big Effort, Jessbow and Meme

Thank you so much for your wonderful words of kindness and understanding, until now, I had never felt so alone and helpless in my entire life. I never realised the pain one suffers as a result of seeing a loved one - not as they were, but as they are now - because of this terrible illness afflicted upon them.

I am not too proud to admit to you all that your words and heartfelt feelings reduced me to tears, and I'm struggling to type this through tear-filled eyes. Who said grown-up men don't cry? We're all big softies after all under our self-imposed hard shell of detached emotions. And howl I have since this happened to my dearest partner.

Almost five months ago we were both so happy, although there had been several 'unexplicable' moments when, what I now know as, psychotic events raised there evil heads.

St Valentine's Day was so special to us both. We became engaged. Can you just begin to realise how romantic that day was to us? We were so very much in love. Even on the morning of her admittance - I hate to call it sectioning - to the Mental hospital she declared her love for me and I shall never forget her more lucid words: "I love you... but, don't be sad..!"

Sad? SAD! Of course I was sad, and b****y angry as well - not at her, but at the fiend inside her who was about to take every chance of happiness and a normal life away from us. Then it happened. The 'team' arrived and I was expelled, at least that's what it felt like to me. And I was to be told nothing, until 6 hours of sheer hell later a brief phrase: "She's safe and being cared for..!" That was it. End of the matter, someone had decreed. But, for me, and no doubt for many of you as well, it was to be the end of the beginning.

I lost my wife - six days short of 43 years - in August 2010. Seemingly very healthy, one Friday she came home from swimming then died in my arms. I was left numb, with no-one to talk to as my family lived far, far away. For the next 11 months I was consoled by my mother, who lived in a care home. What a big boy's blouse, I am! Then, she too died. That was in July 2011. I was totally alone now. And lonely - so very, very lonely.

My partner-to-be came into my life in August 2012, and, for both of us, life took on a new meaning as we soon fell in love and became inseparable.

Now I feel I have been 'widowed' all over again, but there's no body to bury!

My friends - I know we shall probably never, ever, meet - you are helping more than you will ever know. And, as for my partner, I will never give up whilst there's breath left in my body. If she will 'accept' me again I will do whatever I can to make her life as happy and comfortable for her. I have promised myself that.

My friends (who really don't understand the situation, not having been there!) all tell me to get her out of my life. But I cannot turn my back on her. As a Christian (maybe other Faiths are the same) how could I not practise what is preached to me? Love one another. Care for each other. The Good Samaritan comes to mind; when others passed by that man left helpless by the roadside... well, I think you may know the rest.

I give thanks for each new day and ask: give me the wisdom to see its possibilities, the strength to face its challenges, and the grace to be open to its promise. God willing, I reckon I may be in for quite a challenge in the days ahead, don't you?

May you all be enriched in life through the actions shown by your deeds.

Thank you, my friends.

Boy Albie

Last edited:

flowerpot

Jul 27, 2010
Rural North Northumberland
Hi Boy Albie, I have found this all very sad and heartbreaking and want to thank you for sharing your most intimate feelings with us all. I really hope that you can meet all the new challenges head on and deal with them and care for your partner as you wish too. Take care and good luck with the future. Please keep posting xx

Boy Albie

Jun 23, 2013
Norfolk
It looks like Marquita is accepting me back into her life again...

Those of you who have been following my posts regarding my partner, Marquita, receiving care and treatment for paranoia and dementia, may recall she had turned against me and didn’t wish me to know anything (she’d signed a Consent of Disclosure Notice).

Well, here’s an update.

As she has no-one in her life willing to stand by her - apart from me! - I decided to see her solicitor for guidance. Marquita has a son, who is strictly the next-of-kin, but he has made it clear he never wants to see his mother again (although, no doubt, he’ll be happy to take her money when the time comes, as she’s now intestate!).

I had a meeting with the solicitors this morning, and they have agreed with me that something has to be done. They have suggested making me Lasting Power of Attorney, but it’s unlikely she would agree to this. They told me this may have to be decided through the courts, however, and she will have no say in the matter if it’s proved to be in her best interests.

This afternoon I had a phone call from Marquita. She told me she would soon be coming out and would return to her home. It would be damp, she said, and she would have to redecorate. She then asked for some keys she is still convinced I have to her place, which I do not.

Marquita then made arrangements to collect them tomorrow, between ten and half past, as she wanted to get into her garage so as to cut her grass.

An hour later, the phone rang again. It was her again. This time she said she’d be round between eleven and half past to give me time to find her keys. When I suggested we could use my lawnmower the phone suddenly went dead. She had hung up! I tried to call her back but her mobile was turned off.

I phone her solicitors and told them about this. They then told me they had managed to set up a meeting with her next Wednesday morning, at the hospital, to assess her capability to make rational decisions, and also to seek to overturn the Consent of Disclosure Notice.

I have a meeting at the same place – but not with Marquita – that afternoon. I’m wondering now what will be said as, no doubt, they will realise I’ve involved her solicitors. But I’ve done so for all the right reasons, to protect her interests and not mine.

That evening the phone rang again! This time she said she'd 'double-booked' and would let me know when she could come to pick up her keys (which I do not have!). She also said we are still 'good friends'. I asked her if she'd received the birthday card I'd sent in June. She said she'd not had anything from me and blamed the hospital for not passing it on. I told her I'd always sent my best wishes to her whenever I'd spoken to anyone at the hospital. She said they'd never told her and that would have made so much difference. I guess it was because of the Consent of Disclosure Notice she'd signed against me. Hopefully, Marquita will lift it soon! I hope!

However, this changes nothing for me, as I will do anything for Marquita however long it takes, or difficult it becomes. I gave her a promise, months ago, I would never turn my back on her, and that promise still holds strong!

I know it will be hard but, God willing, I will find the strength to fulfil my promise to her. If she needs me, that is! Of course, she may not, and this 'friendliness' on her part may just be a blip, a little part of her 'old' self breaking through the dementia (or whatever) for a short while.

I'm looking forward to my meeting, next Wednesday, with the Deputy Manager of Acute Services and the Modern Matron, maybe I'll learn something from them. Or maybe from Marquita's solicitors - although she is their client and not me, so they may not tell me anything.

Boy Albie

Last edited:

meme

Aug 29, 2011
London
I'm sorry but I do feel her wishes should be followed, she has a solicitor and is being looked after quite well ...I do think you should leave her be, and sort your own life out, painful as that surely is.........otherwise I can see no good for you or her in this at all.

Boy Albie

Jun 23, 2013
Norfolk
Thank you, Meme

In my heart of hearts, I know you are right, Meme. But it's not quite as simple as just 'letting her be'. However, this may all chance next Wednesday when her solicitors have a meeting with her and the mental health team.

I had a meeting with the solicitors yesterday morning and, whilst they thanked me for raising the subject with them as they were unaware of the situation, they stressed that they would put the welfare of their client first, above anything else. That meant me, of course, and I understood, and accepted, it.

However, they stressed, in their opinion, Marquita needed legal representation and 'someone' to look after her day-to day affairs, if it is proven she lacks the capability of doing things for herself. They suggest, in the first instance, a Lasting Power of Attorney. This, they told me, ideally would be her next-of-kin or, failing that, the person closest to her.

Marquita's son would be her next-of kin if he hadn't made it abundantly clear - for some reason - he never wishes to have contact with her again! And even his whereabouts are only known to a 'third party', who has - at my request - frequently made contact to persuade Marquita's son to change his mind, but to no avail.

He has stressed, he is adamant he never wishes to see, or hear, from his mother ever again, and has now told the third party he never want to hear from him again either!

So, Meme, it's not as simple as just getting my life back, is it? In an ideal world, that would be the best option. But in this instance I cannot walk away. Well, not just yet! I may have to, of course, once her solicitors have intervened. However, they have told me it is highly likely, in any event, some form of input from me will be essential as I have been Marquita's memory for her these past twelve months!

I would also be failing in my 'duty' as a Christian (I'm so sorry to bring religion into this, but I must) to do nothing. To leave her 'by the wayside' and turn my head and walk away is just not something I can even contemplate. I was brought up in a caring family, and that's the person I am and always will be. It may well be, if she wants me to help her, I may have a most uncertain - perhaps unhappy - future with her, but at 72 I've had a great many happy years now and if I can help Marquita have as 'normal' as life as possible - and peace - then I will do that, whatever it takes.

Thank you, so much, Meme, for your concern - all my friends say similar things - but I must do what I think is right. Besides, whatever happens, Marquita will always be the love of my life, even if she cannot remember it now.

My very best wishes to you and please forgive me for not agreeing with you.

Boy Albie

garnuft

Sep 7, 2012
. They have suggested making me Lasting Power of Attorney, but it’s unlikely she would agree to this. They told me this may have to be decided through the courts, however, and she will have no say in the matter if it’s proved to be in her best interests.

I can't see any court giving LPA to anyone the person has expressed a wish not to have LPA and with the history of the consent of disclosure she obtained against you.

In fact her solicitors should not be having meetings with you.

I too think you should step back from the situation, as painful as it may be to you, it seems to be the right thing to do in the circumstances.

Boy Albie

Jun 23, 2013
Norfolk
I can't see any court giving LPA to anyone the person has expressed a wish not to have LPA and with the history of the consent of disclosure she obtained against you.

In fact her solicitors should not be having meetings with you.

I too think you should step back from the situation, as painful as it may be to you, it seems to be the right thing to do in the circumstances.

The solicitors suggested this, amongst other options. They also requested a meeting with me so as I could give them information about her vulnerability. They will be representing her, not me. They had told me everything they are proposing to do will be in Marquita's best interests. They also said it may include me, it may not. So let's leave it to the legal people now, shall we? And if they arrive at a solution that doesn't include me, then I shall back off. There was a clinical reason for her to sign the notice against me. If you care to check Paranoid Ideation you will notice that a person so-afflicted by that illness eventually turns against the person they are 'closest' to. In fact, they are incapable of any long-term relationship. There again, there is no cure and it just gets worse.

The only reason I'm still involved is mainly because I have feelings for her and also because she has no one else. If only her son would make contact with her that would make all the difference to her - and me, and then, perhaps, I could back off a bit.

I do hope this explains matters to you.

As I said earlier, I now await her solicitors findings and will go along with whatever they suggest LPA or whatever!

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
suze100