Hypnotherapy for psychogenic pains

Peter_h

Dec 14, 2011
Dukinfield Near Manchester
I've searched for other posts using 'hypnotherapy' as the search term and see that it is not a regular topic.
My wife age 72 has been confirmed with dementia some years ago. A major problem is that she suffers from many pains with no physical cause. She is now regularly talking of wanting euthanasia since the pains are becoming intolerable. Analgesics are no help at all (since there is no physical cause) and the GP has prescribed ONE 80mg propranalol hydrochloride per day. She has been taking this for four weeks or so with no apparent effect.
I know that hypnotherapy can work for pain control but does anyone know if it is possible for dementia sufferers? I'm thinking that maybe it's necessary to 'remember' the hypnotic commands to ignore the pain which is obviously a problem in this case.
Peter_h

min88cat

Apr 6, 2010
Hi Peter

I trained as a Hypnotherapist in 2004 and whilst I no longer practice, I dealt mainly with people giving up smoking and having difficulty in passing their driving tests through nerves and stress

I'm not honestly sure whether it would be possible to hypnotise your wife, as obviously cooperation is needed from the patient in order to get them relaxed and to follow a train of thoughts in order to 'put them under' so that the subconscious brain can be accessed.

I'm not saying it's impossible, but I think you would need to speak to a registered Hypnotherapist local to you who could give you some further advice on this. Good luck!

cragmaid

Oct 18, 2010
North East England
I don't know, but from what I read, I believe that in order for an hypnotic suggestion to work, there needs to be an element of co-operation from the subject. Obviously this could be a problem with the Dementia sufferer.. I'm sorry if this comes over as negative, but of course there's no reason as far as I can see, why you should not give it a try.
Try talking it over with your GP and your wife's medics.