Hyper and agitated Mother

spynage

Apr 12, 2018
Hi

My mother has been looked after by myself her Son and my sister for the last 4 years.

She is in a home now but has challenging behaviours. She fights during personal care. Recently she has become very agitated and aggressive, crying emotional etc.

She has had no medication up to this point but we have all had enough and I think so has she! She has constant company for 8 hours a day from someone, She is bed bound.

WHat I want to know is which medications have people found most effective? I want Mum to use Olanzapine. I've had it myslef and I think it would work for Mum. However I know its not recommended for dementia patients, or is it?

The other option is Riseridol. However it seems this is an older, cheaper anti psychotic. I think she could do better. Would be interested in hearing some informed opinions!

Thanks

Sinclair

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Hello @spynage and welcome to Talking Point

Im so sorry to hear about your mum - she must be so confused

Unfortunately we are not doctors on here, so cannot answer your question. There are people on here whose relative has been prescribed Olanzapine and others whose relative takes Risperdol. You really need to talk to the doctor at your mums care home about the pros and cons

Recent Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Danielf1