hydroxy-hydrochloride

yoyo

Sep 22, 2012
Hi there. my mum has mixed dementia and has recently had a lot of trouble with her hip, which we have now decided to treat at home with the support of the gp. her hip coupled with an obsession to drink water and then pass it has had me up and down most nights. she also has been suffering anxiety not knowing where she is in her room. all this considered the doctor prescribed hydroxy-hydrochloride and oromorph - the hydroxy-hydrochloride was for sickness and anxiety. it totally knocked her out made her dither, sleep and made all the symptoms of dementia worsen. i didn't give it to her last night and the doc agreed it is a very strong drug. tonight it has worn off and she's trying to get up again, she hasn't been able to move for a week we have used the hoist. I would just like to know if anyone else is struggling with the balance of drugs and is there milder ones you could suggest?

Butter

Jan 19, 2012
NeverNeverLand
Hello yoyo - I think the truth is everyone is struggling with the balance of drugs. Doctors included. What works for one person - does not work for another. And what works for one person sometimes - may not work for them at other times.

The last time my mother was really ill it took 8 months to get her stabilised and her medication settled.

I suggest you hang in there and keep a diary (or log) with all the facts: dates, times, pills, symptoms. Then you can have a copy for the doctors - which should help them help your mum - and a copy for yourselves to help you keep your heads round what is happening.

Hang in there - don't be afraid to make it clear to the GP what is and is not working.

One more thought: if your mum slept well, I think that is good. Sleeping is OK.

yoyo

Sep 22, 2012
Hello yoyo - I think the truth is everyone is struggling with the balance of drugs. Doctors included. What works for one person - does not work for another. And what works for one person sometimes - may not work for them at other times.

The last time my mother was really ill it took 8 months to get her stabilised and her medication settled.

I suggest you hang in there and keep a diary (or log) with all the facts: dates, times, pills, symptoms. Then you can have a copy for the doctors - which should help them help your mum - and a copy for yourselves to help you keep your heads round what is happening.

Hang in there - don't be afraid to make it clear to the GP what is and is not working.

One more thought: if your mum slept well, I think that is good. Sleeping is OK.

I thought as much but peoples unparalleled response has had me in a spin. called the social worker who up to now has been quite nice, the moment she heard district nurses involved i got the impression she wanted to hand things over to health and talked about chc. We have had direct payments of 21 hours a week for 7 years until earlier this year when i cracked and found out i should of had a SW and been getting holidays in the form of Direct Payments (DP). DP are only given from social care this gives us the chance to employ who we want to care for mum, I tried agency staff when I cared for my father in law and that caused us all to have breakdowns. DP has given us the choice and control of who comes into our house. My husband and daughter have ASD thats why DP have been important to us. From what the SW said if mums care goes over to health we won;t have that choice and it will be agency staff. I have heard of Personal Health Budgets but don't know enough about them yet, I thought they were suppose to give you choice and control. I would be interested if anyone has any knowledge of them. sorry its so long !!

yoyo

Sep 22, 2012
thank you for your response too, its great to come on and know you're not going mad. by the way had a talk to the family this morning and look at worst case - went in to get mum sorted and she's out of bed and washed with curlers in and much brighter today :) ups and downs hey??

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mjr57