Husband's Dementia

Colver

Jun 18, 2021
Just wondered how you all cope with short temper and nastiness, everything is okay until I correct my Husband on something he hasn't done, or even though he can dress himself I put the clothes out for him to wear and he then goes and get's something else out saying he hasn't seen what I have put out for him, I always said I can cope with the memory loss but find it difficult to cope with the nastiness

Colver

Thethirdmrsc

Apr 4, 2018
Hi @Colver it’s awful isn't it? Sometimes you just have to let it go, and it’s taken me 4 yrs to learn that. I lay out my OH clothes every day, and if I don’t stand over him, he sometimes has 2 shirts on, or puts his dressing down on over his clothes. The aggression I walk away from, and try not to react, but it’s very hard. Trying to find the triggers are exhausting and sometimes there are none, it’s just the disease. Stay on here though, as there is lots of help and support.

Colver

Jun 18, 2021
Thank you for that Thethirdmrsc, I know the reason for a lot of it is frustration he has the disease because to be honest ever since he was diagnosed 3 years ago he has never accepted it and jus got frustrated and feel sorry for himself, but is is hard, most of the time I just walk out of the room

Thethirdmrsc

Apr 4, 2018
They just don’t think there is anything wrong with them, and it’s like having a 13st toddler at an age when you don’t want to cope. I get 5 hrs respite a week, woo hoo! And am looking at carers respite for either the end of this year or next year. I never wanted to spend 24/7 with him.

Dianej

Mar 27, 2021
Yes, I too can cope with the memory issue, but our once very harmonious relationship gets more antagonistic every day. I have learned not to argue about many things but sometimes you have to draw a line. I'm just trying to calm down after being told by my husband to "go back in the kitchen and do the cooking and let me get on with what I want to do." This followed me telling him not to chop any more logs and bring them in the house because we won't be lighting a fire for at least another three months. I know he no longer has any perception of three months and just resents me correcting him. But I don't need three large black plastic tubs of logs standing in front of the living room fireplace in mid-July. The house acquires more junk every day, because when he breaks something and I replace it, he won't allow the original thing to be thrown out and will even go and rescue it from the dustbin. Like many others, he doesn't think there's anything wrong with him, so I am obviously just being unreasonable all the time. The thing is, I know he won't remember the "get back in the kitchen" remark in an hour's time so I shouldn't let it get through, but before AD, he would never have said such a thing, and it's upsetting because it just sums up what we have become. If you make a stand you end up with more arguments, and if you try to keep things smooth, you start to become invisible.

Thethirdmrsc

Apr 4, 2018
That’s the thing @Dianej the before AD and after. We never swore at each other or had any bad things to say about each other, now? I could see him far enough, and often tell him to foxtrot oscar.

fromnz123

Aug 2, 2019
UK
This all resonates with me and what’s been going on with my husband over the past 8 years!
The hoarding, the aggression, the personality change, the arguments.
He recently said during an incident that he wanted to put an axe in my head to shut me up!
This was from a man that had never raised his voice to me in 30 years of marriage!!! Of course he denies that he ever said any such thing!

Dianej

Mar 27, 2021
As I predicted, half an hour after telling me to "get back in the kitchen and do the cooking", he couldn't remember it and just denied it ever happened. He was upset that I was clearly upset but just couldn't understand why. So we ate the roast chicken dinner I had cooked, drank a glass of wine and watched TV, just as if nothing had happened. It's truly surreal. Probably in a year's time I will give anything for an evening like this one!

Pots and Pans

Jan 13, 2020
Recognise all this. Wants to punch me one minute ( except I'm 'not worth it!) Then 5 mins later forgotten he was nasty. But I don't forget...
@fromnz123 reiterate what others told me re aggression. Make sure you have somewhere safe to go if necessary with a phone so you can call for help if violence spills over. Hopefully not; inside the OH with AD is the same sweet man who would never hurt you/me. But this illness can bring such changes.
Today I am particularly fed up with how the house feels like it is getting spoiled. I'm not houseproud but I don't like dirt ir stains... in the last two weeks I've had to clean up pee on the settee, and on the bed sheets ( sat on it in wet pull-ups), cut leg and blood on duvet, a can of beer over same settee cushion on Wednesday and tonight an entire cup of tea poured over settee when he fell asleep. .. and then I think I'm being ridiculous to get annoyed about furnishings! This is my husband being ill ... what sort of miserable person gets upset about a settee! But it's the way it happens too. An accident in the past would have us both scurrying around to sort it. Not any more... it sorta throws the AD in my face. And this is after an evening of hunt-the-keys. Pesky things apparently go walkabout on their own

Bettysue

Mar 21, 2020
I sympathise! Today I had poo on the stair carpet. Frequently have pee in the bedroom . And then the cups of tea poured over things.