Husband with Dementia

janthorpe

Mar 14, 2024
My husband has dementia (may be due to cancer lump on neck/shoulder but CT scan not till Saturday) but he does not understand anything, is not eating (only protein drinks) drinking little, and sleeps most of the day and then may be up for a couple of hours in the night. I dont quite know what to do

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Hello @janthorpe

Is this a sudden change of behaviour, or has it been coming on gradually?
If its a sudden change it may be something like an infection and I would contact your doctor to get him checked

If its come on gradually then this sounds like advanced stage dementia when typically the appetite wanes and they sleep much more

Gosling

Volunteer Host
Aug 2, 2022
South West UK
Hello @janthorpe and welcome to this friendly and supportive forum. There is a wealth of shared experience of dementia to be found here, so I am glad you have found us.
I am sorry to read about your husband. I agree with @canary above. Do get him checked out for an infection, but it could just be the progression of the dementia. Sadly this is what happens - happened to my own dear Mum - sleeping , sleeping, sleeping.
That is the great thing about this forum - members here really do want to help, and understand all the challenges and complexities there are.