Husband acting strange

APPLEANNIE

Mar 20, 2016
My husband has got Alzeimers. The last few weeks he has got worse. I have had type 2 diabeties for 15years and it has caused me to have retinopathy and neuropathy.He said to me yesterday that he did not know i had diabetes i was so shocked and upset. He is now saying i am his daughter and our son is only his son.He talks but i have difficulty understanding what he says. I feel heartbroken as I do everything i can to help him even though i am disabled.Is this usual for people with alzeimers to be so nasty.

Louise7

Volunteer Host
Mar 25, 2016
As this is a sudden change in behaviour he may have an infection, as these can play havoc in those with dementia. I suggest that you get him checked out by the GP as he may have a urine infection and a course of antibiotics might be needed.

marionq

Apr 24, 2013
Scotland
You must get used to this kind of behaviour from his troubled brain. It is not personal and due to his difficulty in making sense of his world.

kindred

Apr 8, 2018
My husband has got Alzeimers. The last few weeks he has got worse. I have had type 2 diabeties for 15years and it has caused me to have retinopathy and neuropathy.He said to me yesterday that he did not know i had diabetes i was so shocked and upset. He is now saying i am his daughter and our son is only his son.He talks but i have difficulty understanding what he says. I feel heartbroken as I do everything i can to help him even though i am disabled.Is this usual for people with alzeimers to be so nasty.
All my sympathy. And yes, it is fairly usual for people like this to be nasty. I spend several hours most days at my husband's nursing home and I see the residents flip from being lovely to being like this on a regular basis. It is part of the illness. Please, please do not take it personally. My OH told me that I was dead and he had been to my funeral!! I know it's heartbreaking, I really do. Do you have any help and support? You must have rest and be able to get away from this now and then.
with warmest wishes, Kindred.

Thethirdmrsc

Apr 4, 2018
This nastiness is what I have experienced in the last few weeks with my husband. It comes out of the blue, although looking back, it is triggered by something he is feeling. It’s ferocious at the time, but the next day, or even a few hours later, he knows nothing about it. I now watch what I say, and what we do. Through reading some of the other posts, relationships can dwindle to very few speaking at all.