How to respond

peter1.

Jan 24, 2024
wife diagnosed dementia few month back,I posted that medication trazodone had made a big difference,,but lately the occasions where she thinks people have been then disappeared, are more frequent try to say that we are ,and have been alone,,asks how they have got out, if I try to ignore ehe questions, says I am not telling the truth and is fesup of being lied to..Is there anyone out there experiencing similar situations if so how best to respond......trazadone 2 times per day 50mg....would stronger med help?? Thanks.....

My Mum's Daughter

Feb 8, 2020
She's seen these people and no amount of persuasion is going to change her mind. Try "yes dear but they've gone now, I showed them to the door so we can have a nice cup of tea together. Do you want a biscuit with yours?"

Kevinl

Aug 24, 2013
Salford
I so live that post my mum's daughter, except it's coffee in our house not tea, biscuits are a given, preferably chocolates ones. K

SeaSwallow

Volunteer Moderator
Oct 28, 2019
Hello @peter1. You might find this link on Compassionate Communication useful. Not always easy to follow but it does help.

Harky

Oct 13, 2021
@peter1. My 80yr.old wife also suffers with hallucinations regularly, she also believes one of them lives in one of our spare rooms (this actually has some benefits).
I just live in her world 🌎 with everything she does/says.

Kevinl

Aug 24, 2013
Salford
I was my mums daughter even though I had a moustache and a beard at the time and a wife who was apparently was my little sister, even though I only have 3 brothers, no sisters.
Without being patronising to sometimes with AZ as I say you have to live in their world when they can't live in ours.
I was going to suggest she called me Karen rather than Kevin but even I have my limits.
My wife (early onset) thought I was any number of people, but all they both did remember was that I was someone they loved, made it all worthwhile for me.
K