How to get initial support

Noaksie1

Nov 2, 2010
Sussex UK
Hello, I reallyneed some advice about my mum who has dementia, although not properly diagnosed (we have a letter saying 'probably dementia' as she walked out of the assessment appointment). She lives on her own nearby and we see her often. She is deteriorating rapidly, gets very confused re. time, sleeps during the day and is often awake at night; doesn't eat very well, rarely changes her clothes.

I don't know who to contact for support. It would be great if someone could visit every couple of days to check she has food etc. I work full time and have a young daughter and see her a few times of week, but I worry about how quickly she is getting worse and don't know how to initially access support/services.

Any advice would be really appreciated. Thank you.
N

lin1

Jan 14, 2010
East Kent
Hello Welcome to TP
I am sorry to hear about your mum and that she walked out of the appointment
do you think you could get her another appointment and be able to go with her and ask them to say its memory probs. than the dementia word

You can contact adult social services (ss) yourself you don't need a referral
I would do this sooner rather than later as unless its an emergency they will take a time to respond

I would also have a word with mums gp about all problems with mum
Yes their may be a problem with confidentiality but that does not prevent doctors from listening to you
I hope you get more replies soon
and find TP as helpful as I have

meme

Aug 29, 2011
London
This sounds similar to my mother over a year ago..not eating or washing or changing clothes and covering it up... and I didn't want to believe what was happening. I called social services myself..(google adult social services in her area).....it was a ghastly moment and decision but had to be done...they then get care in which was the start team who care for around 6weeks and assess her eventual needs , which takes a bit of "fine tuning" ...my mother got pneumonia and had weeks in hospital during this phase, then came out to carers 4 times a day and that works v well now. Take the plunge, you will get help, say you need more visits from carers than you think you do during the assessment, as it is easier to cut back than add on..(4 visits a day seems to be tops)

Last edited:

NeverGiveUp

May 17, 2011
You should get OT on board to look at the home safety, talk to GP. If you don't mind me saying so, I'm not impressed with people who tell you that it is probably dementia and then set you adrift without a lifejacket. Sounds a bit too much what happened to us.

SS are only interested in financial assesments, so work out how much money has, make sure you are there when they talk to mum and make notes. If she has too much in the way of savings or you don't tell them you may be cast adrift. Speak to Crossroads and the Alz Soc, they may have ideas.

What about these wonderful Memory Services that get all the press, where is the help to hold back the illness?

Does mum have district nurses for anything? They can sort out all sorts of things.

lin1

Jan 14, 2010
East Kent
hi again:)
sorry I dont know how old your mum is but I found Age uk formally age concern very good as well as the local brabch of the Alzheimers society
they both know what is available in your area ,may run cafes, carers groups, in my area age uk run day centres a different day for different illnesses
they can also help with form filling and much more

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leigh_77