How to gain lasting power of attorney for health and welfare

Discussion in 'Health and wellbeing' started by Steve A not B, Nov 7, 2019.

1. Steve A not B

Steve A not B New member

Nov 7, 2019
    My brother and I have enduring power of attorney for my aunts financial affairs but it is becoming clear that some health decisions will need to be taken on her behalf. She was recently sent home from. hospital because she couldn’t understand or authorise the procedure that she had been driven to the hospital to have done. She therefore cannot authorise lasting power of attorney for her health. Help!

2. karaokePete

karaokePete Registered User

Jul 23, 2017
    N Ireland
    Hello and welcome @Steve A not B.

Unfortunately this process becomes more difficult if capacity has been lost.

There is a Society Factsheet about the issue and that may help you. Just click the 2nd line of the following link to read/print the document
    PDF printable version
    Listen to an audio version

3. karaokePete

karaokePete Registered User

Jul 23, 2017
    N Ireland
    By the way, I hope you have time to take a good look around the site as it is a goldmine for information. When I first joined I read old threads for information but then found the AS Publications list and the page where a post code search can be done to check for support services in ones own area. If you are interested in these, clicking the following links will take you there

https://www.alzheimers.org.uk/get-support/publications-factsheets-full-list

https://www.alzheimers.org.uk/find-support-near-you

You will see that there are Factsheets that will help with things like getting care needs assessments, deciding the level of care required and sorting out other useful things if any of that hasn't already been done. There is also a Dementia Guide in the list.

Now that you have found us I hope you will keep posting as the membership has vast collective knowledge and experience.

4. Beate

Beate Registered User

May 21, 2014
    Female
    London
    Sorry to be the bearer if bad news but if she has lost the mental capacity to authorise an LPA, it will be too late. You can get a deputyship for finances (which you don't need) but deputyship for health is very rarely granted.