how to choose right chair


Registered User
Mar 17, 2011
looking to purchase special chair to help my husband currently in Nursing Home. do not have assigned social worker. how can i get advise or contact orthopedic centre to find the correct chair. he is sliding to one side and biting into chair. he has developed problem of biting anything that comes near his mouth including his hands clothing etc.


Registered User
Mar 31, 2010
Snowy, hi
I think you need an appointment with an Occupational Therapist and your husband, they are trained to know what aids and adaptations are needed and can advise on chairs and supports, I think your GP can make a referral and hope you get help soon.
Take good care of yourself, with kind regards from Jo


Registered User
Apr 11, 2011
Hi Snowy,
I think ideally an occupational therapy assessment would be good. The only thing is that if your husband is in a care home it may be that the local authority OTs don't assess unless it is a local authority run care home.

A physio may also be involved in an assessment of his posture.

I would ask the staff as they should know the routine. Good luck.