• We're currently experiencing technical issues with our newsletter software, so our Dementia Talking Point monthly updates have been put on hold for now. We hope to restart the newsletter soon.

    Find out more >here<.

How to cash my mothers tax rebate


Registered User
Dec 9, 2015
My mother has Alzheimer's and has been in a home for many years. I am an appointee for DWP and her pensions are paid into my account and then I pay care home fees and any other expenses she incurs. She has a post office bank account but they closed that type of account and she had no way of opening another. This has not been a problem for a good few years but out of the blue HMRC has discovered she has overpaid tax and sent a crossed cheque in her name. How can I cash this ? I don't have POA.


Registered User
Apr 6, 2011
North Manchester
Just in case they query anything take along proof of DWP appointee, chances are the person you see won't understand the difference between DWP and HMRC!
Last edited: