How much more can mum take of this disease!?

HartleyHugs

Feb 27, 2022
Hi, mum has got worse as if that's possible? We had our third end of life conversation in October last year and mum has been in bed since then. We never thought we would be here and mum was still with us, and this week things changed again. For most of this time mum has barely eaten, she's gone a few days at a time with just a few mouthfuls of food and a few sips of drinks, but this week she seems to be ravenous (for her) she's eating most of her small meals when being fed but she has become so vicious too. She's swearing so much more and really lashing out, she swings her fists at you when you're near, she lashes out when you try to help her eat, snatching the spoon, scratching you, and her strength is ridiculous when she gets you and holds onto your fingers or hand. I've heard of violence in Alzheimer sufferers and understand to a degree why it happens as she must be so frustrated but had no idea it could happen to this extent, when to look at her she is so thin and frail. Has anyone else experienced this and if you have any ideas on how to stay calm in the room with them as yesterday I was so upset as I know it's this illness causing it but it's so hard to be hit by someone you love 💔

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
It could be fear rather than frustration @HartleyHugs It won`t make it any easier thinking your mum could be fearful, just another possibility.

Have you considered asking for anti anxiety medication? Your mum`s quality of life can`t be any worse than it is now and medication might help calm her.

Cat1234

Mar 3, 2024
Our Dad got very violent at one point, lashing out and hitting us. They changed his medications which really helped and we now no longer see that side of him. He gets a little angry still but nothing like before and the new meds have made him a lot calmer and he has a better quality of life. He wouldn't have wanted us to see him like that so the calming meds have been a god-send. Might help your Mum.

HartleyHugs

Feb 27, 2022
Im so sorry @HartleyHugs

((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((hugs))))))))))))))))))))))

Has any of her medication been changed?
Back in October they thought she was so close to dying that they stopped all medication apart from sleeping meds, so she could have picked up an infection which is causing the behaviour but we've spoken to the GP and we're not giving antibiotics if she does have something. It's just so distressing to see

Happygo

Nov 14, 2023
Hi I have had a similar experience this past weekend. Mum has been very frail and meds removed since Sept last year. GP was unsure mum would last to Christmas and thankfully we are still here. The change was on Saturday mum has been eating next to nothing since Sept. On Saturday she ate her midday meal as if she was really starving also drank tea and biscuits. As you said her mood has changed to being nasty and snappy. Mentioned to GP today and they going to check if infection.

HartleyHugs

Feb 27, 2022
Hi I have had a similar experience this past weekend. Mum has been very frail and meds removed since Sept last year. GP was unsure mum would last to Christmas and thankfully we are still here. The change was on Saturday mum has been eating next to nothing since Sept. On Saturday she ate her midday meal as if she was really starving also drank tea and biscuits. As you said her mood has changed to being nasty and snappy. Mentioned to GP today and they going to check if infection.
Hi, it's just so strange isn't it? I had no idea the human body could take so much. How is your mum doing? My visit on Tuesday was a sad one she just looked so frail I can feel every bump on her spine when I give her a hug. I only got told to f off a couple of times, she did eat again as if she had never eaten but only managed a few spoonfuls.

Happygo

Nov 14, 2023
Hi, it's just so strange isn't it? I had no idea the human body could take so much. How is your mum doing? My visit on Tuesday was a sad one she just looked so frail I can feel every bump on her spine when I give her a hug. I only got told to f off a couple of times, she did eat again as if she had never eaten but only managed a few spoonfuls.
Hi
mum is still very frail and it seems to be she is eating very little (2spoons of anything) most of the week and will then eat a small meal tea plate size once a week. She is sleeping most of the time and very rarely speaks. But I am thankful she is still here. Sometimes I can still see my mum in there somewhere x
sending all a hug hoping we can all come out the other side xx