How long does the office of the public guardian usually take to appoint a deputy

AlexBoy

Dec 8, 2015
I have a problem, my wife is suffering from vascular dementia, and in view of my own ill health we have decided to move to live nearer my daughter. We found a suitable flat nod our offer was accepted. Just as we were expecting to exchange contracts we were told that the vendor had fallen and had been subsequently declared incompetent . As a result the Office of the Publib Guardian had been asked to act urgently and appoint a deputy.
This was last September. We were told that they applied 5/10/15 and that it should all be "done and dusted" by the end of November. Accordingly as I was unwell my daughter suggested we completed our sale, and that we stayed with her for the rest of November.
However my own solicitor despite repeated calls to the vendors solicitor has been unable to get any information from them about progress. On the advice of my solicitor I asked the selling agent on the 1st Dec to enquire he told me that the vendors agent replied to the Public Guardian's enquirers on the 19th Nov. and that I could expect no further action till the end of January. All the stress of this is making my wife's deterioration much more rapid and my own health worse. Does anyone know how long does it take for the Office of Public Guardiab to reach decisions in these "urgent cases"

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
I am so sorry this has happened - it is everybodys nightmare - and worse when you are dealing with dementia.
It usually takes about 3 months from the time that the Court of Protection has received the application till the Court makes its decision, so it may be that it is not going down the urgent pathway. The other thing is, though, that even once the Court has made its decision, the appointed deputy has to buy a bond (sort of insurance) and the OPG will not issue a certificate until this has been done - this adds another couple of weeks. Plus its all happening over Christmas.
When Mum got the COP hearing I discovered that I had been made her deputy on 17th Dec, but I didnt get the letter informing me of this and telling me how to go about purchasing the bond until the middle of Jan (it had obviously got caught up in the Christmas post), so it was Feb before I received the COP certificate. So, even fast-tracked that time scale may be right.