How long does it take for a diagnosis?

Pollywobble

Nov 13, 2023
I'm probably asking how long is a piece of string, but seeing my husband suffering breaks my heart. Today he slept until early afternoon, walks SO slowly now and soon tires. He sleeps a lot. He doesn't eat much and is very confused. He gets upset that nobody is doing anything, because he can't remember what has been done. 4 blood tests, 4 samples, CT Scan, 3 doctors appointments, BUT his referral to the memory was declined because the Mental Helath Support Services have a referral too, but they won't go any further because his blood test showed up borderline thyroid, which the doctor dismissed. His referral to the integrated centre was rejected because he's not frail enough.

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
A diagnosis can open some doors, but there are things you can do while you are waiting
You can apply for Attendance Allowance, which is neither dependent on a diagnosis, nor means tested
Once you have that you may be able to apply for Council Tax Disregard (not reduction - thats a different benefit) due to SMI
You can ask Social Services for a needs assessment for him and a carers assessment for you
You can ask the GP for an Occupational Therapist home assessment, who will come, assess your home and organise any aid or adaptations that will help with mobility.
You didnt mention incontinence, but if that is an issue, you can ask for a referral to the incontinence clinic (sometimes called the bladder and bowel clinic)

Get the ball rolling even before a diagnosis

karaokePete

Jul 23, 2017
N Ireland
Diagnosis took 2-3 years for my wife and she had to go through GAD and MCI before the dementia diagnosis. It was in part due to me recording every behaviour and bringing written notes to consultations that got us a diagnosis in the end.

This thing about our loved ones not remembering has a point that has to be remembered by the carers. If the short term memory is damaged things won't be recalled as to the person with such damage these things never happened. No one can remember something that didn't happen. Don't stress yourself by trying to argue with logic as that won't work.

I wish both of you the best of luck.

Pollywobble

Nov 13, 2023
A diagnosis can open some doors, but there are things you can do while you are waiting
You can apply for Attendance Allowance, which is neither dependent on a diagnosis, nor means tested
Once you have that you may be able to apply for Council Tax Disregard (not reduction - thats a different benefit) due to SMI
You can ask Social Services for a needs assessment for him and a carers assessment for you
You can ask the GP for an Occupational Therapist home assessment, who will come, assess your home and organise any aid or adaptations that will help with mobility.
You didnt mention incontinence, but if that is an issue, you can ask for a referral to the incontinence clinic (sometimes called the bladder and bowel clinic)

Get the ball rolling even before a diagnosis
Thank you so much for taking the time to reply. I'll look up your suggestions. I feel so frustrated because it takes weeks to get a GP appointment and Social Services wants the thyroid possibility looking into before they'll do anything. Meanwhile my husband is deteriorating by the day.

Pollywobble

Nov 13, 2023
Diagnosis took 2-3 years for my wife and she had to go through GAD and MCI before the dementia diagnosis. It was in part due to me recording every behaviour and bringing written notes to consultations that got us a diagnosis in the end.

This thing about our loved ones not remembering has a point that has to be remembered by the carers. If the short term memory is damaged things won't be recalled as to the person with such damage these things never happened. No one can remember something that didn't happen. Don't stress yourself by trying to argue with logic as that won't work.

I wish both of you the best of luck.
Thank you for taking the time to reply.
Things don't bode well for a 94 year if it takes that long! He just wants to to feel as if something is being done for him.
I appreciate your comment about the memory. It's so hard explaining that it all takes time. 😪