How good is the echo show?

SMBeach

Apr 19, 2020
Hello
I have been using MyHomehelper for over a year maybe 2, quite successfully for on screen reminders etc. However, the video calling has very poor signal and our voices break up or send delayed which makes conversation very unpleasant.
I’ve heard people mention the echo show. Is the video calling feature clear? Do you get good signal during video calls? Do the voices break up or send delayed? Also, can the echo show be used as an on screen diary/clock or for reminders or photo displays. And can the screen be left on all day and night to show the time? Does anyone know what is used to make the video calls. For example MyHomehelper uses ‘Vsee’ so just wondering what the Amazon echo show used to make video calls.
I sent dad his iPhone with very simple instructions. Basically tap this app to call me and cleared his screen from all other apps but he’s not used it yet so I’m assuming he’s struggling with that. Ideally if I can get the video calling issues sorted then this would be the best option. He has FaceTime on his phone but I’m getting the impression this isn’t going to work for him anymore. And can I ask which echo show works for most people. I see they go from cheap to very expensive. I only need it for video calling. Displaying photos. Time and date. And for setting diary/reminders. Don’t want Netflix etc on it.

try again

Jun 21, 2018
When mum was at home the echo show was brilliant. Size wise, the bigger the better their end for poor sight.
You can display photos and reminders, though reminders won't work at some point. Time and date are displayed on home page.
You can use it your end via your phone and it works to talk but I think the image at the PWD end is not as clear so a smaller echo show your end makes it easier.
You can log on to their account app to do basic things like adjust the volume PWD end if they have accidentally changed it and that how you can set up reminders for them remotely.
For our family it worked well probably until a few months before mum went into a home.

SMBeach

Apr 19, 2020
Thanks for all that. I think I may try the echo in future. Dad did answer his iPhone today though so happy with that plus his homehelper til it’s not suitable for him any more. Technology is wonderful.

SMBeach

Apr 19, 2020
I looked in the assistive settings but don’t remember seeing anything of use in there. All he does is make calls or FaceTime and receive calls or FaceTime. I’ve removed most other apps and moved those I can’t delete to another screen where hopefully dad won’t find them.

sdmhred

Jan 26, 2022
Surrey
My brother got one for mum for her birthday for the ‘drop in’ feature. He says it works well and he’s pleased - she can no longer answer FaceTime and he was relying on me to be present for his calls. he’s also put some rolling family photos on it for her.

the issue he is encountering is that the TV is too loud and mum can’t turn it down herself When he calls. But we’re thinking u can probably get a smart TV and somehow he can turn hers down or off remotely when he wants to call 🤷‍♀️🤷‍♀️

SMBeach

Apr 19, 2020
I found that when I video called dad. I had to watch him struggle to find the tv control then work out how to use it (with my instructions). It was very frustrating for dad. Then I had to watch dad struggle to get in the bed so I could see him. If only carers ‘cared’. The cater was in the room when I called and left the room so we could speak. If only they’d thought to turn the tv down and position dad so we could hear each other and enjoy our conversation instead it was very upsetting to watch dad struggle and me not be able to actually help him.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
That’s the problem with remote communication @SMBeach I know you know this and can’t help being so far away.

When I went away I sent my husband picture postcards I suppose even they needed a carer to read them and they wouldn’t help you know how your dad it.

I feel for you

Toopie28

Jun 7, 2022
I found that when I video called dad. I had to watch him struggle to find the tv control then work out how to use it (with my instructions). It was very frustrating for dad. Then I had to watch dad struggle to get in the bed so I could see him. If only carers ‘cared’. The cater was in the room when I called and left the room so we could speak. If only they’d thought to turn the tv down and position dad so we could hear each other and enjoy our conversation instead it was very upsetting to watch dad struggle and me not be able to actually help him.
Oh yes. The amount of times I end up in tears as I can't help Ma. The time she put on her jumper as jammie bottoms and couldn't understand why that wouldn't work.
Telling her NOT to touch the lights as they are sorted (on timers)
Finding the remote (which I started tying to her wee table beside her). Now I tell her to turn off the telly so I don't need to scream. That sometimes works, sometimes not.

I've found the best to be Echo Show 15. Such a large screen and Ma can see my big face. There is a delay so I have to speak slower than usual. If she is alone, it works well. If other people, it starts panning in and out to adjust for movement (even tho I have it set NOT to adjust for movement).

I also has the Echo 10 - that the one that DOES move. The screen I mean. Maybe that will work - as it will follow your Dad as he moves.

KatFox

Apr 7, 2021
The echos have been invaluable for me and Mum when she lived alone (I live 300 miles away) - not only is the drop in feature brill (she forgot how to answer the phone) but there's so much more - the ability to set alarms, play music, turn sockets on and off, I add photos do she can see what I'm up to, I leave cute messages - it even listened to when the dog was barking and would play relaxing music to soothe it. I used it effectively with CCTV cameras - so when she was sat on the settee I could then drop in and we'd take meds together (and I could watch her take them) Now mums in a home with her trusty echo - but sadly I feel less connected with her now as the staff often switch it off - they don't understand what it does. The echo 10 (one that moves) would be a great one to get - and you can get them on FB market place or Amazon outlet. Good luck - I know how hard it is living far away from a loved one with dementia x

sdmhred

Jan 26, 2022
Surrey
My brother has bought one for my mum in her care home. He uses the drop in facility. He bought a smaller one and I think the screen is a touch small as we previously used IPad when she could answer FaceTime. There’s also a slight delay.it’s definitely good technology but I would research which version would suit best.

The staff turn the camera off when she is having personal care. Sometimes it’s not turned on again but I am there often enough to check it’s on.

I use the radio when I am there and enjoy that he can change the photos so she has different things to look at.

The only issue he has found is that often the TV is on and she can’t turn it off. I told him I imagine she could probably get some sort of smart TV he could control form the Alexa too???

SMBeach

Apr 19, 2020
The echos have been invaluable for me and Mum when she lived alone (I live 300 miles away) - not only is the drop in feature brill (she forgot how to answer the phone) but there's so much more - the ability to set alarms, play music, turn sockets on and off, I add photos do she can see what I'm up to, I leave cute messages - it even listened to when the dog was barking and would play relaxing music to soothe it. I used it effectively with CCTV cameras - so when she was sat on the settee I could then drop in and we'd take meds together (and I could watch her take them) Now mums in a home with her trusty echo - but sadly I feel less connected with her now as the staff often switch it off - they don't understand what it does. The echo 10 (one that moves) would be a great one to get - and you can get them on FB market place or Amazon outlet. Good luck - I know how hard it is living far away from a loved one with dementia x
It sounds very similar to the homehelper screen I have. Just the video call has a delay in it which frustrates both dad and I. I stuck a note on the plug saying “don’t unplug’. I wish I was there to do the same with dad’s iPhone as carers unplug it and put it in a drawer. I bought a super long charging lead with instructions for it to be plugged in next to his screen helper. But now his screen says it’s to remain plugged in so I just hope they do.

faengelm

I looked in the assistive settings but don’t remember seeing anything of use in there. All he does is make calls or FaceTime and receive calls or FaceTime. I’ve removed most other apps and moved those I can’t delete to another screen where hopefully dad won’t find them.
Apple's Assistive Access turns an iPhone into a Senior-Friendly phone

faengelm

My brother got one for mum for her birthday for the ‘drop in’ feature. He says it works well and he’s pleased - she can no longer answer FaceTime and he was relying on me to be present for his calls. he’s also put some rolling family photos on it for her.

the issue he is encountering is that the TV is too loud and mum can’t turn it down herself When he calls. But we’re thinking u can probably get a smart TV and somehow he can turn hers down or off remotely when he wants to call 🤷‍♀️🤷‍♀️
If you get an Amazon Omni Fire TV or Amazon Fire TV Cube, it can pause the TV video on an incoming Alexa Call.
https://www.techenhancedlife.com/solutions/alexa-calling-pauses-tv-when-call-comes

The Omni TV offers a feature over the Fire TV Cune in at it can automatically turn on the required USB webcam
https://www.techenhancedlife.com/citizen-research/how-use-amazon-omni-fire-tv-video-calls

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JohnNYC