How do you get a diagnosis?

Jan48

Apr 25, 2022
Is it by memory test and mri scan? Is it a long process? Once diagnosed are you prescribed medication? What kind of doctor do you see? Starting the process with my husband. The word dementia frightens him. He is ok during the day, a bit forgetful and repetitive. At night he gets anxious and has compulsive obssessive behaviour with security. Sorry for all these questions.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Hello @Jan48

Start with your GP. If your husband is frightened by the word dementia, talk about getting help for his memory.

If he is frightened by the word dementia and links it to his memory loss, try to keep a log of concerning behaviours and present it to your GP without telling him.

There is a fine line between hiding the truth and telling it as it is and for many people in the early stages of dementia, it is often in their best interests not be be too open about their concerns,

See the GP. Ask their advice and let the GP take it from there.

The behaviour at night is regarded as sundowning,which is a common behaviour in people with dementia.

It is something your doctor should be made aware of.

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
The first thing to do is to go to the GP for blood tests to rule out any other cause for his symptoms - there are several things like vit B12 deficiency, low thyroid levels and low sodium levels (among other things) that can mimic dementia and are treatable. The GP would also do a short memory test

The diagnosis is usually made (at least in UK) by the Memory Clinic. There are memory tests, a scan (usually MRI) and also (and very importantly) input by someone close to them outlining behaviour change. If no-one says anything about the behaviour change (and people with dementia are usually unaware of them), then even if the memory tests and scan show changes that look like dementia, there will only be a diagnosis of MCI (Mild Cognitive Impairment)

Unfortunately, there is only medication for Alzheimers, not any other type of dementia, although there is medication for specific symptoms - anxiety, hallucinations, aggression etc which would only be given to someone showing these problems.

There is also quite a long wait for the Memory Clinic, but it is worth getting a diagnosis as it makes it easier to get support as the dementia advances and also opens doors that would otherwise remain closed

Ellie2018

Jun 26, 2023
I think that it depends on your area, our Memory Clinic was accessed quickly, they talked about a scan but I think it was so clear that they didn’t bother and diagnosed Alzheimer’s. The tablets that help slow the symptoms onset didn’t work for us - first one removed appetite - virtually completely and the second gave non-convulsive seizures. That said the medication isn’t a cure and for us would have limited benefit. But, with having the diagnosis, we got into a system - officially I’m a carer so got a respite card of £1200 a year. about £100 a year for me for a hobby, attendance allowance, carers allowance, discount on council tax, GP register me as a carer so they talk to me. None if it changes the difficulty of each day but it all helps. Some of the payments cover the day centre my OH goes to.
After the initial diagnosis, I have never reminded him of it, I go to appointments and go in first so that he doesn’t have to hear what needs to be said. One of the additional elements if these conditions is the complete lack of dignity given to them - we are there because he doesn’t remember but they ask questions - do you get aggressive, no, not me when he does so I have to say it in front of him - I just refuse to do it now. A bit long but hopefully some of these things will help you going forward. Good luck.

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
One of the additional elements if these conditions is the complete lack of dignity given to them - we are there because he doesn’t remember but they ask questions - do you get aggressive, no, not me when he does so I have to say it in front of him - I just refuse to do it now. A bit long but hopefully some of these things will help you going forward.
I always send in a letter before the appointment outlining the problems and my concerns, that way they already know about things before we are seen.
I would also suggest that you sit slightly behind him so that when he says things that are not true, you can indicate silently whether his answer is correct or not.

EMW44

Mar 11, 2024
The first thing to do is to go to the GP for blood tests to rule out any other cause for his symptoms - there are several things like vit B12 deficiency, low thyroid levels and low sodium levels (among other things) that can mimic dementia and are treatable. The GP would also do a short memory test

The diagnosis is usually made (at least in UK) by the Memory Clinic. There are memory tests, a scan (usually MRI) and also (and very importantly) input by someone close to them outlining behaviour change. If no-one says anything about the behaviour change (and people with dementia are usually unaware of them), then even if the memory tests and scan show changes that look like dementia, there will only be a diagnosis of MCI (Mild Cognitive Impairment)

Unfortunately, there is only medication for Alzheimers, not any other type of dementia, although there is medication for specific symptoms - anxiety, hallucinations, aggression etc which would only be given to someone showing these problems.

There is also quite a long wait for the Memory Clinic, but it is worth getting a diagnosis as it makes it easier to get support as the dementia advances and also opens doors that would otherwise remain closed
I note you say “behaviour changes” as I realised my OH has stopped doing the things he did daily, now it’s twice a week, and some things not at all. Just adds to the short term memory problem. Also sleeping a lot & I never know whether I should wake him up so we can do what had been planned, or just work around things. Throws routines out

Jan48

Apr 25, 2022
I think that it depends on your area, our Memory Clinic was accessed quickly, they talked about a scan but I think it was so clear that they didn’t bother and diagnosed Alzheimer’s. The tablets that help slow the symptoms onset didn’t work for us - first one removed appetite - virtually completely and the second gave non-convulsive seizures. That said the medication isn’t a cure and for us would have limited benefit. But, with having the diagnosis, we got into a system - officially I’m a carer so got a respite card of £1200 a year. about £100 a year for me for a hobby, attendance allowance, carers allowance, discount on council tax, GP register me as a carer so they talk to me. None if it changes the difficulty of each day but it all helps. Some of the payments cover the day centre my OH goes to.
After the initial diagnosis, I have never reminded him of it, I go to appointments and go in first so that he doesn’t have to hear what needs to be said. One of the additional elements if these conditions is the complete lack of dignity given to them - we are there because he doesn’t remember but they ask questions - do you get aggressive, no, not me when he does so I have to say it in front of him - I just refuse to do it now. A bit long but hopefully some of these things will help you going forward. Good luck.
If he gets a diagnosis I will only be able to claim discount on council tax. As he is still highly functional, I will not be able to claim attending or carers allowance. Except at night I will not be comfortable to leave him on his own. I do not think we fit the criteria to claim benefits. Thanks

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
If he gets a diagnosis I will only be able to claim discount on council tax. As he is still highly functional, I will not be able to claim attending or carers allowance. Except at night I will not be comfortable to leave him on his own. I do not think we fit the criteria to claim benefits. Thanks
If he has got enough changes to get a diagnosis of dementia, then he has got enough to get Attendance Allowance. If you dont feel comfortable with leaving him then he would definitely qualify for it.
It isnt just about whether he can wash himself - its about needing someone to remind and prompt him to do things, helping him because he cant do it on his own, watching over him and keeping an eye on him to make sure he is safe and doesnt get into difficulties