How do I

Dunroamin

May 5, 2019
UK
convince others that the sounds of cutlery, crashing plates and pots and pans and other sudden loud noises are now such a problem for me. I know other PWD suffer this problem, but how do they address it?

jugglingmum

Jan 5, 2014
Chester
Not a direct answer but would wearing headphones help?

Both my children struggled with noise when they started school - in particular in the school canteen to the point my youngest found it hard to eat until he got used to it. I had no idea why. My eldest has been diagnosed with ADHD this year (age 21) and my youngest (age 17) who found it more of a problem has more boxes ticked on the referral form than eldest.

I'm aware that children with moderate to severe ADHD (and autism) have a heightened sense of sound and often wear headphones so wondered if that would help.

Incidentally my mum as she deteriorated had similar behaviour to my son at different stages (when my son was younger) although as she is deaf no issues with noise.

SeaSwallow

Volunteer Moderator
Oct 28, 2019
convince others that the sounds of cutlery, crashing plates and pots and pans and other sudden loud noises are now such a problem for me. I know other PWD suffer this problem, but how do they address it?
My husband is the same, hates sudden loud noises. I try to remember especially first thing in the morning. Even noises from outside annoy him, especially lorries going over potholes.
The best thing is to just quietly remind people that because of your condition that loud noises grate on you.
The noise cancelling headphones might be a good idea, hubby uses them to listen to YouTube videos.

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
The noise cancelling headphones might be a good idea, hubby uses them to listen to YouTube videos.
These work by picking up ambient noise by microphone(s), inverting it and adding it to itself thus cancelling it, the required sound is not affected as it arrives by wire or wireless.

To work in this situation they would have to have limited reduction in the speech frequency band.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
convince others that the sounds of cutlery, crashing plates and pots and pans and other sudden loud noises are now such a problem for me.

I know the feeling @Dunroamin. It happens to me when I try hearing aids.

I`m able to refuse hearing aids and live a quieter life but if these sounds are amplified significantly and you have no way of turning the volume down, it`s up to those around you to listen and take note.

To be expected to wear headphones continually is unreasonable. You can`t wear them when you are out, that`s for sure.

It`s so difficult for people to emphasize without personal experience, I can really understand your frustration.

Jaded'n'faded

Jan 23, 2019
High Peak
If it's noises made by others in your house (even unintentionally!) could you put a few notices up around the place to remind them? You could easily make your own but the selection here might inspire you:

Sarasa

Volunteer Host
Apr 13, 2018
Nottinghamshire
I'm deaf, and it is wonderful being able to turn off my aids if I need to. I also 'overhear' if that is the right word things like rustling crisp packets which I find intensely annoying. No use to you I'm afraid
If the noise is something like someone dropping a saucepan there isn't much you can do, if like my husband you like to listen to the radio while eating which I hate as I can't concentrate on two things at once, I just ask him to turn it off.
I do hope you find a solution that works for everyone in the house.

Dunroamin

May 5, 2019
UK
Solved! I use MACS soft earplugs for my daily outdoor swim so I tried these at home when pots and pans etc. are clashing. Result.