How do I tell my mom that she is not going to get better?

MowgliGirl02

Feb 20, 2022
Hi all.
My mom who is my best friend has recently been diagnosed with Mixed Dementia. A mixture of Alzheimer’s and Vascular dementia.
She’s had symptoms of dementia for a few years now, we used to just gloss it over and say she’s lost her short term memory. (Her words) but recently since a nasty fall she’s deteriorated quite rapidly.
But some days she is much more lucid than other’s. She doesn’t know it’s dementia, or she does and she doesn’t want to deal with it.
Whenever I broach the subject or say the word dementia she looks at me and tells me not to use that word.
I know she will never get better, and that I will lose her to this awful disease. But when she looks at me and says, “I hope I’m going to get better soon” I don’t have the heart to tell her she won’t. Mind you if I tell her, I’m sure it would soon be forgotten.
Any advice would be gratefully received. Sending love to all.

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Hello @MowgliGirl02 and welcome to Talking Point.

My mum would never accept that she had dementia either. She too used to say she had a poor memory. She had been told by the doctor at the memory clinic that she had Alzheimers, but mum dismissed this, so I never told her again and just went along with her "poor memory" story. I remember once, in her care home, she had a lucid moment and said to me aghast "Whats wrong with me? Ive lost all my memory!", but I didnt tell her - I just put my ams around her and said "I know mum - we are all here to help you" and five mins later she was back to thinking there was nothing wrong with her.

I honestly wouldnt tell her about the dementia. When she says she hopes she will get better soon, just nod and say something non-comital. With dementia, the aim is to reduce distress.

MowgliGirl02

Feb 20, 2022
Hello @MowgliGirl02 and welcome to Talking Point.

My mum would never accept that she had dementia either. She too used to say she had a poor memory. She had been told by the doctor at the memory clinic that she had Alzheimers, but mum dismissed this, so I never told her again and just went along with her "poor memory" story. I remember once, in her care home, she had a lucid moment and said to me aghast "Whats wrong with me? Ive lost all my memory!", but I didnt tell her - I just put my ams around her and said "I know mum - we are all here to help you" and five mins later she was back to thinking there was nothing wrong with her.

I honestly wouldnt tell her about the dementia. When she says she hopes she will get better soon, just nod and say something non-comital. With dementia, the aim is to reduce distress.
Thank you your reply. I do tend to do that with her now actually as I don’t want to cause her unnecessary stress or upset. A lot of time we say “oh it’s just a bad day” She nods and we continue with something else.

Bunpoots

Volunteer Host
Apr 1, 2016
Nottinghamshire
Welcome from me too @MowgliGirl02

When my mum used to say “I hope I get better soon”. I just used to say “I hope so too” which was true even through it was a forlorn hope. My dad never said that as he knew he wouldn’t until he forgot that he was ill…

PippaS

Jan 3, 2022
If your Mum says she hopes she’ll get better, you could honestly say “oh yes, we all do” without a word of a lie even if you know it won’t happen. I try and give Dad hope for the future and chat about things we would like to do because it must be dreadful living without hope.

PippaS

Jan 3, 2022
Thank you your reply. I do tend to do that with her now actually as I don’t want to cause her unnecessary stress or upset. A lot of time we say “oh it’s just a bad day” She nods and we continue with something else.

PippaS

Jan 3, 2022
It’s not easy though is it. Wishing you both as many good days as possible.

MowgliGirl02

Feb 20, 2022
Thank you everyone. I’m so thankful I’ve found this forum. Until now I’ve felt so alone. Xx

soau987

Mar 11, 2022
i agree with all the points above. there is no point upsetting time after time, its harder for her and for you. Saying i hope so, or its just one of those days is perfect as you are showing empathy and understanding without dismissing the question