How do I move on from this?

Frm1407

Jan 22, 2019
Tomorrow will be 2 weeks since my lovely grandad passed away after a nearly 7 year battle with dementia. My grandparents were a massive part of my life and we lost my Nan nearly 8 years ago and now I've lost them both and I just can't help feeling a little lost and numb. It's his funeral on Monday and I'm hoping to get a bit of closure from that!

karaokePete

Jul 23, 2017
N Ireland
Firstly, may I express my condolences for your loss.

I'd say it's only natural to feel lost and numb at this stage. Do keep posting here for support from people who understand. Also, don't be afraid to reach out to others, such as your GP, who may be able to help you through a tough time.

Marcelle123

Nov 9, 2015
Yorkshire
I'm sorry to hear your sad news. I think things will feel a bit better after the funeral, but you will still feel sad for a long time. Let your feelings dictate how you move on.

However, if there is some project that you could do 'in honour of' your grandfather or grandparents - fundraising for a charity connected with them, planting flowers in your garden (or in a pot) that they loved, having a memory corner in your room, setting their photos in order with captions (though that can feel very raw) - I personally find that it helps.

I was very close to my grandmother - she died thirty years ago now - but my feeling has faded and I now think of her without sadness but with gratitude for the wonderful person she was. It helps that I feel sure I'll see her again in heaven - I can even 'talk to her'.

The loss of my Mum 15 months ago is still very painful. Even just today I went into a charity shop, spotted a lovely china teacup, and thought 'I'll get that for Mum'. What a twinge when I remembered.

Fullticket

Apr 19, 2016
Chard, Somerset
Give it time Frm1407. Easy to say I know. It is a year since my mum died and I am much better now, looking forward to new things and looking back fondly at some of the daft things that happened while I was caring for her. Like Marcelle 123, things crop up that poignantly remind you; at first this made me want to cry but now I just smile. Take it one day at a time and it will get better. The build up to the funeral is really a rather unreal time, as will be the immediate aftermath and the 'clearing' up that needs to be done when someone dies. So in a couple of months you may find that it hits you rather hard and you may find yourself a bit adrift and not sure what you should be doing, but it will get better. Sending you a big hug.