How do I know?

Nat1981

Nov 10, 2018
Hi there

New to this site just wondering how you all know when a loved one is moving on in the stages?

My dad is 62... was diagnosed at the start of the year. The symptoms he's displaying, I can't see how he can still be in early stages

Jayjoe8985

Sep 22, 2018
Hi Nat, that's the big question what stage? I think it's when you get to a point and start to realise your loved one can't do certain things. Everything seems to drift slowly but in retrospect you look back and think 'this times last month I had a sensible conversation or this time last month my loved could easily fix something to eat.. I think it's one of the most frustrating things about this disease is not knowing how long it's going to last. On average it's lasts between 4 - 8 years but can go on alot longer in physically fit younger people.
My mum is mum is either In or approaching stage 7 and it's a nightmare. She's living with me and I'm hoping to see it through till the end but I am struggling.
Good luck I hope your journey is not too bumpy. X

Jale

Jul 9, 2018
Sorry, useless at posting links but if you google The seven stages of dementia you will find some useful info there.

Duggies-girl

Sep 6, 2017
Hi there

New to this site just wondering how you all know when a loved one is moving on in the stages?

My dad is 62... was diagnosed at the start of the year. The symptoms he's displaying, I can't see how he can still be in early stages

My dad is 88 and has probably had alzheimers for 7 or 8 years and is still early stage. Yes you notice changes along the way but they can be very subtle sometimes. I think my dad may be just about entering the next stage as I am having to prompt him to change his shirt lately. He can't seem to see when it is stained even if I point it out to him.

Now I just say that as I am doing some washing then I might as well do that shirt at the same time. Seems to work.

The stages can get a bit mixed up and to be honest they can be a depressing read so I try to stay away from them most of the time.

Jayjoe8985

Sep 22, 2018
My dad is 88 and has probably had alzheimers for 7 or 8 years and is still early stage. Yes you notice changes along the way but they can be very subtle sometimes. I think my dad may be just about entering the next stage as I am having to prompt him to change his shirt lately. He can't seem to see when it is stained even if I point it out to him.

Now I just say that as I am doing some washing then I might as well do that shirt at the same time. Seems to work.

The stages can get a bit mixed up and to be honest they can be a depressing read so I try to stay away from them most of the time.
Omg. Are you sure your dad has Alzheimer's? That is indeed a slow progression. Just goes to show how variable this horrible disease is. My mums also had it for 7 years and she is most definitely in the severe phase now.

Spamar

Oct 5, 2013
Suffolk
I didn’t bother with stages, just dealt with symptoms as they appeared. OH had mixed dementia and had it at least 11 years. A friend had to leave work whilst in his 50s. At 80+, he’s still alive.

Duggies-girl

Sep 6, 2017
Omg. Are you sure your dad has Alzheimer's? That is indeed a slow progression. Just goes to show how variable this horrible disease is. My mums also had it for 7 years and she is most definitely in the severe phase now.

Absolutely. My mum noticed the problem before she died and that was 7 years ago. After she died the problems became evident to me, it was early stage and dad ambled along very well until he had to stop driving about 18 months ago. He was only diagnosed about a year ago but he has had it a long time.

He still lives alone with a lot of help from me.

Everything moved very slowly at first with just forgetfulness and doing strange odd things, then a slow decline of losing abilities such as cooking, managing money, writing birthday cards so on. I think my mum covered for him a lot but she knew that she was dying so she told me.

Jayjoe8985

Sep 22, 2018
Absolutely. My mum noticed the problem before she died and that was 7 years ago. After she died the problems became evident to me, it was early stage and dad ambled along very well until he had to stop driving about 18 months ago. He was only diagnosed about a year ago but he has had it a long time.

He still lives alone with a lot of help from me.

Everything moved very slowly at first with just forgetfulness and doing strange odd things, then a slow decline of losing abilities such as cooking, managing money, writing birthday cards so on. I think my mum covered for him a lot but she knew that she was dying so she told me.
So sad isn't it? It makes you wonder what's in store for all of us. I wouldve wanted my mum to live forever when she was in the mild, even moderate stage but in the severe stage I wish her end would come if it could come painlessly without any pain or falls or discomfort

Nat1981

Nov 10, 2018
The is for your replies. I'm pretty sure he is at stage 5 from what I've read. He does very little for himself, can't cook, can only prepare simple food ie. Toast and forgets pretty much everything. He is heavily reliant on my mum and she gets around 12 calls a day when at work. It's so so sad.

nae sporran

Oct 29, 2014
Bristol
Welcome to TP, Nat1981. I'm sorry I know nothing about stages, but it is sad for your mum to deal with so much. Has your mum had a carers assessment or has your dad had a care needs assessment from Social Services ? I was just wondering if your dad may benefit from outside carers as that takes some of the stress from you and your mum. Day centres and befriending scheme have taken some of the stress from me and given my OH some extra support.

Nat1981

Nov 10, 2018
Welcome to TP, Nat1981. I'm sorry I know nothing about stages, but it is sad for your mum to deal with so much. Has your mum had a carers assessment or has your dad had a care needs assessment from Social Services ? I was just wondering if your dad may benefit from outside carers as that takes some of the stress from you and your mum. Day centres and befriending scheme have taken some of the stress from me and given my OH some extra support.

My dad currently has support with personal care in the morning and a pop in visit in the afternoon. I'm currently trying to sort the social side of his care right now.

marionq

Apr 24, 2013
Scotland
I have been very impressed by the Fisher scale covering the seven stages. It is so detailed I am astonished how they collected so much in the way of data. It feels like someone has been in our house with a clipboard.

It may be that my husband is average so fits the statistics but interesting nevertheless.

Nat1981

Nov 10, 2018
Thank you we have upcoming meetings with care providers and someone from Alzheimer Scotland so all quite positive.

Nat1981

Nov 10, 2018
I have been very impressed by the Fisher scale covering the seven stages. It is so detailed I am astonished how they collected so much in the way of data. It feels like someone has been in our house with a clipboard.

It may be that my husband is average so fits the statistics but interesting nevertheless.

Ill take a look

Jayjoe8985

Sep 22, 2018
The is for your replies. I'm pretty sure he is at stage 5 from what I've read. He does very little for himself, can't cook, can only prepare simple food ie. Toast and forgets pretty much everything. He is heavily reliant on my mum and she gets around 12 calls a day when at work. It's so so sad.
It is such a strain on family members. So frustrating and heartbreaking. There should be alot more help for sufferers and carers.

marionq

Apr 24, 2013
Scotland
Thank you we have upcoming meetings with care providers and someone from Alzheimer Scotland so all quite positive.

Just noticed you mention Alzheimer Scotland. They are terrific and got us through the first difficult few years with their moral support and marvellous groups. We are in Glasgow and although we have moved on from
that stage they still keep in touch. I can’t praise them enough.

Nat1981

Nov 10, 2018
Just noticed you mention Alzheimer Scotland. They are terrific and got us through the first difficult few years with their moral support and marvellous groups. We are in Glasgow and although we have moved on from
that stage they still keep in touch. I can’t praise them enough.

That's good to know. Thank you. The woman I spoke to on the phone the other day was amazing so looking forward to meeting her!

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
I tended not to pay too much attention to the stages. I found that my husband showed some points from more than one stage. I ended up just coping with the symptoms as they appeared. I think I stressed myself out trying to decide what stage he was at.

He also got good support from Alzheimer Scotland.

I'm glad you found this forum and am sure you'll find it helpful.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Micmomgram 5